Honda Grom banner

Yuminashi ECU Repin for Monkey?

8K views 27 replies 8 participants last post by  kdt1 
#1 ·
#3 ·
I'd be surprised if he's received the ecu already. Mine shipped on the 23rd and not been trackable since the 25th.

#4 · (Edited)
DO NOT CUT ANY WIRES

Pull the wires out of the connector with their pins attached, so you can put them into an empty socket either from a previously removed wire or one empty which had no wire in it. I double checked and triple checked the numbers of the sockets and used the diagram from the Honda Grom Service Manual. Before disconnecting anything I planned the moves in advance so I only had one pin removed at a time and could reinsert it onto an already empty socket left by a previous move.

Remember the diagram is of the male pins in the ECU and not the female pins in the connector, so they're a mirror image.

The wires with their metal connectors are supposed to release if you insert something small down one side like a needle, but I couldn't figure out how to do it so I simply pulled them out. I know this sounds risky but it worked for me.

It takes a few rides to learn whatever changes in operating conditions from the mods you did to your engine, so your engine will feel weak for a little while, but once it learns the engine will run good.

I believe I'm the first person here to take a chance on running a Yuminashi, and I have no problem being the "lab rat"...

...as it was a minimal risk just to find out if it would actually work. I am not an "intellectual theory" kind of person. I like to try things to see how they work in the real world by my own actual personal experience, and not just in my head.

I glad I tried this experiment because it set me free from having to mess around with downloading, programming, mapping, adjusting, reflashing, and resetting whenever I make changes. In the future I might experiment with a larger injector to see how well the ECU adjusts with one. I live miles outside of town and climb all of the same hills every day, so I use them as performance indicators. I also record my gas mileage at every fill up so they're also a useful indicator of efficiency.

#5 ·
don't just rip the wires out of the connector jesus christ who does that? not an "intellectual" obviously.

the ecu connector has a front plate that you need to remove, it also has a rear plate that you'll remove, then pull back the rubber gasket. once you've removed that you'll be able to look inside from the front of the connector and clearly see the retaining clips for the pins. just place a jewelers screwdriver or pick into the front of the connector, lift up on the retaining clip, and remove the pin. very easy.

#6 ·
don't just rip the wires out of the connector jesus christ who does that?
I did and it worked just fine. I took the covers off and was unable to release the clips so I simply popped them out.

Why the perennially ugly attitude, Quibbly? What's wrong with you that you're trying so hard to compensate?
Is it a physical impairment or illness? Sick people behave like you do.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm not concerned with doing the repinning itself, it's about how to repin for the Monkey since it has different wires than the Grom. It doesn't look like anyone's done it for the monkey yet. Here's the reply I've received so far from Yuminashi. I haven't had a chance yet to try checking the voltage on the pink/black wire that he's referencing, but please let me know if anyone has the answer:

Thank you for your email.
For the Z125 Monkey we have worked it almost entirely out, but not completely yet since there is one wire with a different function compared to the GROM.

This wire is the wire located on the ignition switch.

It's a pink/black wire which is connected to a pink wire on the ignition switch.

We think that there is a 12v voltage on that pink wire, but we don't know if the voltage comes from the ECU (pink wire) in the direction of the contact switch.
Or if the voltage goes from the contact switch in the direction of the ECU (pink/black wire).
I give you both schematics attached to this message so you can see what I mean.

Could you check with the stock ECU installed, if you disconnect the pink wire from the pink/black wire, where the voltage is coming from if you switch the contact switch on?
Can you measure a voltage on the pink wire, or do you measure a voltage on the pink/black wire?

If you can provide us this information, then I'm sure we can work the solution out to connect the GROM ECU to your Z125 Monkey.

If you have a US wiring diagram from the Z125 Monkey, then please provide us also the US wiring diagram since we have only the German (European) one...
View attachment 79926 Plan Technical drawing Floor plan Diagram Text

#9 ·
I'm not concerned with doing the repinning itself, it's about how to repin for the Monkey since it has different wires than the Grom. It doesn't look like anyone's done it for the monkey yet. Here's the reply I've received so far from Yuminashi. I haven't had a chance yet to try checking the voltage on the pink/black wire that he's referencing, but please let me know if anyone has the answer:

View attachment 79926 View attachment 79928

hey eastcoast, that pink wire is the immobilizer wire. there's a zener diode in the ignition cylinder that provides 9v on that pink wire to the ecu as a permissive for the FI system to operate.

if the yuminashi ECU does not require this signal, then the wire can be ignored without issue. just insulate it.

#13 ·
see, YOU'RE the oblivious one. you don't understand that your advice is bad. you don't understand that you're wrong about how your ecu works. you don't understand that the forum doesn't revolve around you and that spamming your bike everywhere isn't welcome activity.

you are so proud of yourself that you can't even see how wrong you are all the time.

your deflections just show how delusional you are.

that's all. maybe you can bbq paint some more of your bike and post it in 7 different places.

#23 · (Edited)
Me too. I'm a master electrician, so I have a little bit of say in electrical methods and issues

But apparently poor old Tooter can't wrap his head around anything that isn't in line with his own biases. He did it this way, therefore it's right. Whatever he thinks is right, and any evidence to the contrary is invalid in his mind.

He's a lost cause. I wish these forums had a block feature.

#25 ·
Jewelers flat tip works, but I have a de-pinning tool that I will always use on terminal connectors. It sucks when you break a retaining clip or crush the pin itself. Even worse trying to redo a complete terminal connector, learned that years ago, lol.

#27 · (Edited)

You can find the SF pin numbering diagram in the Honda Grom Service Manual. Remember that the diagram is for the male ecu side and you are moving pins on the female side the ECU connects to. So you need to read the Service Manual diagram in reverse. You'll be able to tell from the colors. While it was a little bit tedious, I just made certain they were plugged into the right locations. Once it was done I simply installed the ECU and rode the bike while the it learned the operating parameters. I haven't touched it since and my Grom runs perfectly... averaging between 145 and 150 mpg.
:)

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Supermoto Automotive tire

#28 ·

You can find the SF pin numbering diagram in the Honda Grom Service Manual. Remember that the diagram is for the male ecu side and you are moving pins on the female side the ECU connects to. So you need to read the Service Manual diagram in reverse. You'll be able to tell from the colors. While it was a little bit tedious, I just made certain they were plugged into the right locations. Once it was done I simply installed the ECU and rode the bike while the it learned the operating parameters. I haven't touched it since and my Grom runs perfectly... averaging between 145 and 150 mpg.
:)

Thanks Toot Toot for the reply, was looking for the Monkey repin update.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.