Honda Grom banner

Takegawa std exhaust

14K views 26 replies 9 participants last post by  stefke 
#1 ·
Super stealthy!

Hey guy used to have a 235cc fibro from with all the goodies. Picked this up in December and haven't done much riding or what not.

I wanted a exhaust that was catless and would increase ground clearance without being crazy loud.

My old grom had dual AR with custom inserts and was almost as loud as a harley.

This one fit the bill. Loudness with the factory exhaust was 1/10. This is 3/10. Quieter than my lawnmower but has some potatoes sound to it. It is only a slightly larger diameter than stock but no cant shorter header and the muffler is pretty straight through. It also looks 100% stock. Fits as stock with stock heat shields.

Just an option for non big bore monklets.

I also did some airbox venting and plan to add maybe a power commander vision or something shortly. It is much more responsive with this pipe immediately. Well see how top speed is affected. It's similar to my old grom which only did 55 from new then around 600 mile first oil change and service it was hitting 65 on the flat.

It added nearly 3" of ground clearance to the bike which is a big deal for me.

Attachments

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks for the feedback on the noise level.
I was waiting for these to come into stock and at the same time they did Hot Lap released there trail exhaust which just looks way too good so I have placed an order for one of those over this one but I’m sure it’s going to be louder, hopefully still reasonable.

#9 ·
I ask the question and they fwd thru so pics before placing my order.
I like the fact that it is stainless and I used that as a reason for the additional cost ?

Attachments

Reactions: 50-50
#12 · (Edited)
I received my Takegawa pipe from Japan yesterday, I have been waiting nearly 3 months since it was ordered, pipe cost me $490 AUD. plus $120 AUD for shipping, I still don’t have my Nebula Red Monkey, I have been waiting since mid Feb, dealer informed me yesterday that my bike will not be here till August now, Honda must been sending all the Red Monkeys to the other side of the world because in Australia you can get yellow, blue or black monkeys but not the red ones in Sydney.

#15 · (Edited)
Mine finally came in. I dig it. Madgrommer's 1/10 vs. 3/10 is right on. The bike still sounds "friendly" but saves some weight, gives a nice little bump in sound, and provides some welcome ground clearance for a little off roading.

Stock exhaust is 9.3 lbs
Takegawa is 4.7 lbs

That's only a 4.6 lb savings, and from one of the lowest parts of the bike, but I'll take it. Not sure if I notice much of a power increase, but perhaps it has an extra half hp or something.

Oh, the coupon is from when you create an account with Webike and they send you a 1000 yen coupon. Worth about $9. I opted for the DHL shipping and it got here super quick. Ordered on a Saturday night and had it on Tuesday.

#16 ·
Thanks for the sound clip, sounds pretty nice.

Still waiting on my HotLap Exhaust to arrive, if it doesn’t turn up soon I’ll be picking up one of these.

#17 ·
Mine got a little bit louder sounding with some miles but barely. Having had dual AR pipes on a Grom I am definitely not going back.

I vented my airbox with some filter plugs like I did my OG Grom. Plus I put in a tb camshaft so my bike is running quite lean. Hoping to get a reflashed or do it myself with the power commander vision. I bet the mods will come together then.

#20 · (Edited)
I am buying a PV3 for my Monkey from FuelMoto they have great tech support, I have the Takegawa performance stock exhaust and air filter element for the stk air box ready to fit on the monkey just have to deresrict the air box, I have been running a Dynojet PVCX flash tuner on my 2 Indian motorcycles the last 3 yrs with great results, the PV3 is the updated version of the PVCX flash tuner.

#21 ·
Hi,

I have what you would probably call a strange question about the Takegawa STD exhaust. :cool2:

How different is the muffler part from the stock muffler? Would I be able to fit the Takegawa muffler on the stock pipe and keep the cat?

Reason I'm asking is that removing the cat is not an option for me, could lead to my monkey getting impounded if they ever stop and check me. So I'm looking for an option to have a bit better sound but keep the cat and not go for a full system. I've been looking at the Yoshi RS3 slipon version but I would like to keep the stock look of the bike so that brought me to the Takegawa STD and got me thinking of chopping the muffler of the stock pipe and connecting the Takegawa muffler part only.

Now if the only difference between the stock pipe and the Takegawa is the downpipe then it won't amount to anything. Is the diameter of the pipe the same or is this already making it impossible?

Thoughts? Other exhaust options?

Thx,
Stef.

#22 ·
The muffler is similar to the factory but is a larger diameter and more free flowing. Unfortunately I think the routing is off enough for that to not work. You are better off using a regular slip on exhaust then you should gut the cat. Either by cutting thepipe and drilling or chiseling the guts out or cutting the cat open and removing the internals. The cat makes a pretty significant change in performance.

#24 ·
I know this is an older post and I don’t want to ask a stupid question but...

I am looking at purchasing this exhaust. If I switch from stock to another will it trigger a warning or check engine light? Where is the best place to purchase?
Thank you
Webike is a great site with a good selection, as far as a check engine light coming on as a result of an exhaust change I’ve yet to see that happen.

#27 ·
Hi,

I know I'm reacting to an old post here but just wanted to let you know that what I was asking about keeping the stock header pipe and cat in this thread previously works.

So after thinking about if for a long time wether to go for the RS3 or the Akrapociv or a GP Magnum slipon I decided I wanted to keep the stock look and bought the Takegawa and thought I would give it a go at making it fit the stock header pipe to retain the cat.

Saw off the old header from the old muffler about 1cm from the muffler and saw off 5 cm of the Takegawa header (I actually did not saw it off but used a pipe cutter). That 5 cm piece of pipe fits in the old header and in the new Takegawa muffler. It is a tight fit, and the header does leave a bit more space towards the chrome heat shield because it is a bit more inward but it works. Keeps stock look, still eco and sounds way better. 😀

S.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.