Suspension upgrades
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Suspension upgrades

This is a discussion on Suspension upgrades within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; While out on a longer ride this week I realized how weak the stock suspension is, especially in the rear. I'm 175 without gear, and ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Suspension upgrades

This user has no status.

Member #

Suspension upgrades

While out on a longer ride this week I realized how weak the stock suspension is, especially in the rear. I'm 175 without gear, and I found potholes to really upset the balance of the bike, especially while cornering. Didn't have any tank slappers, but I started watching out for and trying to avoid bigger bumps. The front could stand to be improved as well, but I didn't have the bottoming out issue that I had in the rear. I took the bike off road as well and will probably continue to do so, so I don't think I want something super stiff.

The range of upgrades for shocks seem to be:

YSS (adjustable + reservoir) - Starts at $180 - I am not familiar with YSS. Some forums seem to like them, but they are inexpensive and the ebay listings seem a little on the sketchy side. Their website sucks.
    MNNTHBX - $450 - Adjustable for preload / length, but not damping. Seems expensive for what you get.
    Ohlins $750 - Fully adjustable. Assumed to be good as Ohlins does not make junk. Unsure if they're overpriced.

Forks are pretty limited. Ohlins makes a cartridge setup for $275. I don't see anything else available right now. Anyone else upgrade their suspension and found something that works well?

is is ready to ride!

Member #
    I put an Ohlins on my Grom and like it. I would have bought the Ohlins for my Monkey, but just can't bring myself to put the yellow on my red Monkey.
    50-50 likes this.
    2014 Black Grom
    2019 Red Monkey

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'd prefer something silver, actually, but I also have Ohlins on my red Thruxton R. It's not what I prefer, but I'd be willing to go yellow. It would go with the banana keychain.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Got Ohlins front and rear. They are impressive. Stock suspension was dangerous for shredding or stoppies. I love them. Definitely a performance upgrade.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Suspension upgrades-5999936b-e086-4e39-bd94-f791347dc415_1555021504430.jpeg  
    MSX UD ITA and 50-50 like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have ohlins and admittedly, it's more for bling than anything else. They work well enough. I have ridden a grom with a YSS shock and it felt good. I think the limiting factor for pot holes and the like are your wheels.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Looks like I'll be blinged out too. I just ordered a set of Ohlins this morning.

This user has no status.

Member #
    You are more than welcome to ride mine to see if it’s what you’re after.

is "Working"

Member #
    Odometer
    Fohlins Rear, Ohlins Front springs with heavier weight oil. Under 400$ total for a very good setup.
    2017 Honda Grom SF
    [ Koso 170bbk | Koso 34mm TB | Koso Cam | Koso Cam Chain Tensioner | PCX150 Injector | Aracer MiniPlus2 W/ Wideband | Drow Carbon Intake | Brembo P32s w/ VEE Rotors | Ohlins Suspension | GromFatherz Manual Tensioner, Headstuds, Speed Spacers | Carbon Fiber Everything | ]

This user has no status.

Member #
    Fohlins, eh? Fake Ohlins? I didn't see those.

is "Working"

Member #
    Odometer
    Very highly praised by everyone on the facebook groups. Guy name Vinny takes the shock and machines it for a perfect fit. It has the same specs as Ohlins. Everyone around me has them while i have Ohlins. I cannot tell the difference when riding. I would recommend it if you are trying to save money.
    50-50 likes this.
    2017 Honda Grom SF
    [ Koso 170bbk | Koso 34mm TB | Koso Cam | Koso Cam Chain Tensioner | PCX150 Injector | Aracer MiniPlus2 W/ Wideband | Drow Carbon Intake | Brembo P32s w/ VEE Rotors | Ohlins Suspension | GromFatherz Manual Tensioner, Headstuds, Speed Spacers | Carbon Fiber Everything | ]

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links