Suspension upgrades - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Suspension upgrades

This is a discussion on Suspension upgrades within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; You mention "shock" as if it is singular like the Grom, but the Monkey has two rear shocks. I ordered a pair of Ohlins rear ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Suspension upgrades

This user has no status.

Member #
    You mention "shock" as if it is singular like the Grom, but the Monkey has two rear shocks.

I ordered a pair of Ohlins rear shocks from Revzilla on Friday morning. Hopefully they ship soon. I went out on a ride this Sunday and bottomed out the rear a few times on some relatively mild bumps. I wonder what the target rider weight is for this bike. I'm not exactly a lightweight @ 175 without gear, but I'm not too far off the average North American weight either.

I wonder what the recommended sag is on this bike. I have a tool to measure it, but this is not a sportbike so the regular rules may not apply.

is "Working"

Member #
    Odometer
    DOh, My bad, did not see this was monkey talk :P Fohlins is only for the grom for now.
    2017 Honda Grom SF
    [ Koso 170bbk | Koso 34mm TB | Koso Cam | Koso Cam Chain Tensioner | PCX150 Injector | Aracer MiniPlus2 W/ Wideband | Drow Carbon Intake | Brembo P32s w/ VEE Rotors | Ohlins Suspension | GromFatherz Manual Tensioner, Headstuds, Speed Spacers | Carbon Fiber Everything | ]

This user has no status.

Member #
    My Ohlins came yesterday. That was fast! I didn't expect them until next week.

I put them on and took a short ride. The difference is immediately obvious with less squat and a firmer, but not uncomfortable ride. I sped into a parking lot and hit the sloped apron. It was the front that bottomed out this time. The back felt fine. I thought the front was a little spongy, but I didn't think I'd been bottoming out. Hopefully the Ohlins fork cartridges come back in stock soon.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Actually for my 180lbs the monkey rides super nice even on dirt roads? They must have changed the forks from my 2015 from which bottomed out hard just stopping. I was lighter weight back then too. Maybe they are using higher quality oil?

With my grom I did the racing bros fork cartridges which were adjustable. Unfortunately they ended up simply maxed out 99% of the time on that grom (firmest with most dampening). I liked them for the price at the time (179$) but I think non adjustable onlins forks might be the best bet. Plus they add additional travel by a .5"or so IRC.

Yss has some red adjustable (fully) shocks but man are they spendy for the pair (400ish). They look crazy good tho.

is Big Ol' Pile of Dem Bones

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by beatle View Post
    My Ohlins came yesterday. That was fast! I didn't expect them until next week.

I put them on and took a short ride. The difference is immediately obvious with less squat and a firmer, but not uncomfortable ride. I sped into a parking lot and hit the sloped apron. It was the front that bottomed out this time. The back felt fine. I thought the front was a little spongy, but I didn't think I'd been bottoming out. Hopefully the Ohlins fork cartridges come back in stock soon.
    "back in stock soon" ?? Are they different from the Grom kits, of which there's plenty available on ebay.......

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Ohlins-FDK-...4AAOSwW75crUji

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes, looks slightly different. I have $30 to spend with Revzilla so I'm looking for them to come back in stock:

https://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/...da-monkey-2019

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Wicked_VFR View Post
    Very highly praised by everyone on the facebook groups. Guy name Vinny takes the shock and machines it for a perfect fit. It has the same specs as Ohlins. Everyone around me has them while i have Ohlins. I cannot tell the difference when riding. I would recommend it if you are trying to save money.
    Do you have a link for this machined Fohlins?
    adamwayne likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Bumping to see if anyone has feedback on the YSS shocks? They seem like a good deal for the price. Unfortunately Ohlins are out of my budget for now thanks to some unexpected medical bills.

Banned
    This user has no status.

Member #
    i had one, for the money it was good. a lot better than stock.

This user has no status.

Member #
    My buddy runs one on his grom. He seems to like it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links