Fastest Monkey in the USA!!!
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Fastest Monkey in the USA!!! within the Monkey Talk forums, part of the Honda Monkey 125 Forums category; The Grom guys have a top speed guru. Who is going to be the guy with the fastest Monkey? I think there’s a guy with ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: Fastest Monkey in the USA!!!

This user has no status.

Member #

The Grom guys have a top speed guru. Who is going to be the guy with the fastest Monkey? I think there’s a guy with a 170cc on here. My top speed on flat ground, no wind, no tuck, full face helmet, 225 lb ride is 60.5mph gps verified. Stock 125cc, 16t and 32t. Stock sprockets was 52 mph top speed. I drafted a semi at 69.5 with new sprockets, it felt stable. I have the yuminashi 1 to 1 fourth gear to install, but I think the 181 NEO will be able to power the stock 1 to .92 fourth gear. It felt real good drafting the semi, almost like third. I can only hope our troll buys a Monkey. One of our Grom heavy hitters bought one.

And we need Monkey stunters.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Those monkey bike should be able to hit 80+mph with the right porting on the head, the right throttle body, the right F/I, the right ECU, the right gearing.

A 170-2v or 183-2v with the right porting and cam will EZ get you 70-80mph

Let the DIY and testing begin.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Those monkey bike should be able to hit 80+mph with the right porting on the head, the right throttle body, the right F/I, the right ECU, the right gearing.

A 170-2v or 183-2v with the right porting and cam will EZ get you 70-80mph

Let the DIY and testing begin.
    Thanks CiscoSanJose. I was looking back at your posts. I like your build style, fast but streetable. I saw a post from 2014 where you were determining how to install an O2 sensor. Thanks for laying the groundwork. I don’t necessarily want the fastest Monkey, I just want to keep up with cars. My Yamaha xt225 had 20hp, it did everything I need in the highway. So, I want a 24 hp Monkey. I’m going with a 181 Neo, port the 2v head, the injector that comes with the Neo kit and full Aracer RC1 setup.

So, which throttle body?

Any other fast Monkeys???

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    a 170cc won't get you much in top speed even with changed gearing. The 170 kit will give you a lot of bottom end power, but top end is pretty much the same. I had a 170cc kit with a yoshimuira cam. Top speed was unchanged for the most part. It was just easier to fight a headwind.

I'm 250lbs. 125cc stock piston, Fueling, Yoshimuira cam, and full yoshi gets me right at 60mph verified GPS sitting bolt upright with no drafting or wind. top speed typically increases as it gets hotter outside with these bikes. So I'll revisit in the summer months.
    mumdb1 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    For reference, I'm 165lb and my basically stock Yellow without ABS with the full Yoshimura system, 14t front sprocket hit 61.7 mph in a tuck the other day, verified using the iOS Speedomter App at 5,053ft of altitude. My speedo showed 67mph.
    2019 Honda Monkey in Banana Yellow
    - Yoshimura RS-3 SS/SS/TI Full System
    - KO Ohlins Rear Shocks
    - 14t Front Sprocket

- MNNTHBX Seat Caps
    - MNNTHBX Classic Tail Plate Mount
    - Forged Aluminum Shifter
    - Adjustable Shorty Levers

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mumdb1 View Post
    For reference, I'm 165lb and my basically stock Yellow without ABS with the full Yoshimura system, 14t front sprocket hit 61.7 mph in a tuck the other day, verified using the iOS Speedomter App at 5,053ft of altitude. My speedo showed 67mph.
    ok, now we are getting some baseline. Awesome. I am cornfused. Is 14f stock? I think I changed to 16f 32r for top speed. The Grom top speed guys like 16 32. I think.

This user has no status.

Member #
    15 is stock.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mumdb1 View Post
    why change to a 14? I thought we wanted 16 32 for top speed.

This user has no status.

Member #
    A monkey with a full exhaust, cam, and a fueling solution won’t pull top speed in top gear usually. You often have to shift down to third to make it up steeper hills and such. With the 14t front, you can stay in 4th.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by Swampass View Post
    A monkey with a full exhaust, cam, and a fueling solution won’t pull top speed in top gear usually. You often have to shift down to third to make it up steeper hills and such. With the 14t front, you can stay in 4th.
    Yep, and honestly I'm not going for top speed here. Our elevation where we live is a little over 5,000ft and I'm planning on riding my Monkey up to over 12,000ft so I need all the torque I can get up those mountain roads. The 14t has definitely helped out in acceleration and responsivness throughout the gears.
    2019 Honda Monkey in Banana Yellow
    - Yoshimura RS-3 SS/SS/TI Full System
    - KO Ohlins Rear Shocks
    - 14t Front Sprocket

- MNNTHBX Seat Caps
    - MNNTHBX Classic Tail Plate Mount
    - Forged Aluminum Shifter
    - Adjustable Shorty Levers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links