Honda Grom banner

Monkey air filter

18K views 31 replies 15 participants last post by  Toadonamonkey 
#1 ·
Hi all, new to the forum and after some help.
Recently picked up my new monkey bike and I’m looking to do a few upgrades.
Iv already fitted a Yoshi RS3 FS, now I’m looking to fit a KN air filter.

My question is: Will a KN air filter for a Grom fit in the airbox on the monkey?

I can’t seem to find a filter specifically for the little primate, other than the RAM intake system, which I’m not too keen on.

Thanks

#2 ·
Unfortunately no the filters are not the same shape, the Grom guys are doing internal mods to air box,there are some threads on that....The Monkey is very similar inside..I'm with you on the looks of the open filter...I don't love the stock box either, but definitely don't care for odd looking intake and open filter look...but it would sure make Yoshi pipe work!!!!...if I had that on my bike,maybe I could live with wired intake!!! Have fun Man!

#5 ·
There’s plenty of do it yourself options, and several shops are selling their Grom intakes for it. Our own Grom intake will fit it as well, but we decided to start from scratch on the Monkey. The good news, is we’re confident it’s a performer, but also the coolest intake we’ve ever done. The bad news, we finalized the design 4 months ago, and are waiting on the production run of the proprietary hoses. It’s a slow process, and I hate slow with a passion. In short, know you have options currently, and something REALLY cool is coming in a couple weeks...?

#7 ·
Just noticed this on their site:

https://mnnthbx.com/product/mnnthbx-mtake-for-the-honda-monkey-125-intake-kit/

Looks like they should be out mid-May. The intake looks trick, being tucked up properly under the tank with just a bit of filter showing. That said, for all of its bulbous presence, the factory airbox also hides a lot of unsightly wires and hoses. Not sure if that's a tradeoff in the right direction.

#11 ·
Not installed yet as I was on my lunch break....but here's the uninstalled pics.

I also show the yellow in relation to the Monkey yellow in the event you were attempting a color match. I kind of was, but it's not really a big concern. I think I would have gone with a contrast rather being close.

Vehicle Car Orange Automotive design Auto part
Motor vehicle Yellow Orange Automotive design Vehicle

#13 ·
Here’s some pics and some death defying one armed riding to highlight the sound. The power increase is noticeable. More so than the exhaust and cam singularly IMO. I’ve hit the rev limiter twice. I’ve never hit it before. The bike is noticeably louder. I can still creep at low rpm and keep things civil though. Sorry for the wind noise. Hopefully the sound conveys. I only have a phone to listen to it on. https://youtu.be/zEAd1X_cudU

Attachments

#29 ·
Here’s some pics and some death defying one armed riding to highlight the sound. The power increase is noticeable. More so than the exhaust and cam singularly IMO. I’ve hit the rev limiter twice. I’ve never hit it before. The bike is noticeably louder. I can still creep at low rpm and keep things civil though. Sorry for the wind noise. Hopefully the sound conveys. I only have a phone to listen to it on.
Where did you get that rear rack? looks awesome

#15 · (Edited)
So just opened my box from MNNTHBX and here is what it came with, a hose, one SS clamp, the black bracket, and the custom filter. No crankcase filter, no bolts, instructions,etc. I must be missing something for $170 correct?

Electronic device

Reactions: 50-50
#17 ·
So just opened my box from MNNTHBX and here is what it came with, a hose, one SS clamp, the black bracket, and the custom filter. No crankcase filter, no bolts, instructions,etc. I must be missing something for $170 correct?

View attachment 80652
If you didn’t receive the hardware pack it’s clearly on us. We don’t make many mistakes, but it happens. The bigger question is why didn’t you contact us? We’ll make it right for sure, but it’s by sheer coincidence I happened to see this. Shoot us an email so we have your contact info and can get you squared away quickly.

#26 ·
Hi,

I just installed my mtake kit. I ordered a separate filter from dna with an alu top, so no color difference and looks great I think :)

But man is she loud now, don't think I'll be fitting an other exhaust.

Throttle pickup from idle is really hesitant though, I think I need a remap... and the PV3 is anyway on its way, so have to be patient for a couple of more days.

BTW I got a separate mail from mnnthbx that also mentioned that the black spacer you get is intended for mounting the crankcase breather filter with a screw on the righthand side where the airbox used to be fixed, so it is not supposed to go behind the bracket as shown in the youtube video from John I believe.

Stef.

#27 ·
Wow, thanks for that tip about mounting the crankcase filter, I knew that spacer didn't seem right. Not to mention there is an extra screw that comes in the hardware pack.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.