Honda Grom banner

The "What did you do to your Monkey today?" thread

93K views 317 replies 72 participants last post by  Darmie 
#1 ·
I finally had a little time to put my new MNNTHBX front signals on and replace the flasher. It definately cleans the front end up.

Going to try and get the matching taillights done this weekend, it will definately be an upgrade.

Attachments

See less See more
#40 · (Edited)
Added the Ohlins KO rear shocks from Japan. Didn't think these would be that big of a game changer for $150, but wow, my daughter and I installed them in less than 10min then rode for 27miles on all dirt and gravel roads yesterday and my butt is thankful!

Suspension part Shock absorber Coil spring Auto part Suspension

#151 ·
Added the Ohlins KO rear shocks from Japan. Didn't think these would be that big of a game changer for $150, but wow, my daughter and I installed them in less than 10min then rode for 27miles on all dirt and gravel roads yesterday and my butt is thankful!

View attachment 79470
You bought the Ohlins KO rear shocks for $150? Where, that would be an up grade I’d like to look into.

#42 ·
Wow, cool. That is going to give it real dirt capabilities. There are videos of Monkeys being ridden hard in dirt. I want my Monkey to be more of a supermoto, capable of light trails. However, I want to turn a 2020 Super Cub into a scrambler, stiff suspension, knobbies...The majority of Cubs rarely see good USA style pavement anyway.

#44 ·
Installed the chrome H2C rear rack, mirror extenders, and short throw throttle tube. Funny enough, my stock grip wasn't even glued on. Quick squirt of WD40 and it pulled right off. The bar end met the impact driver and came right off as well. Took about 30min for all three.

Reactions: 50-50
#47 ·
Rode it a bit today. Testing the new takegawa STD exhaust. Much more clearance under the bike. Speed didn't change much but acceleration is better.

I might end up trying the TB cam, clutch springs, a remap and a 13t front sprocket....

Those Kenda big block tires interest me greatly but the stock tires grip great on the dirt so far.

Attachments

#55 ·
I put a 14t sprocket on today. I have no idea why the bike did not come with this gearing from the factory. It gives the bike much needed pep, especially when you don't feel like wringing out 1st gear. 4th gear will maintain speed on steeper grades. To my surprise, it did not affect ABS function like I thought it would.

#57 ·
Mounted my 1st attempt at a fender eliminator, 2nd one I will be trying to incorporate the OEM licence plate light

Attachments

Reactions: B&SCycle
#59 ·
Installed the 12oclockLabs SpeedoDRD H9 Speedo Calibrator to fix the stock speedometer as I'm running a 14t sprocket up front and the Kenda Big Blocks now. Literally a 15min install and works like a charm. Highly recommended for $70.

#61 · (Edited)
I fitted the Kitaco high volume oil pump and Kitaco clutch cover that converts the oil filtering to a cartridge oil filter system, cleaned the oil screen, I fitted a set of 330mm Takegawa rear shocks, a Takegawa stock look performance pipe and Tyga carbon fiber exhaust end cap and heat shield, reset the ECU, fitted a H2C rear rack, Yoshimura tail tidy, Gcraft spindle holder and a TB shift lever, very impressed with the improvement in performance, still have to de restrick the air box, fit a Takegawa air filter and tune with a Dynojet PV3, 200km on the speedo.

Attachments

#64 ·
I went back to my factory 15 tooth sprocket. Since adding the intake, I was topping out the bike with the 14t. It makes enough power now to make 4th usable even on inclines. I am back to downshifting on big hills though. Didn't have to do that nearly as much with the 14t.

#65 ·
So you're hitting the limiter in 4th with the intake and the 14t? I've had mine up to 67mph and wasn't there yet, that intake must make a big difference! Can't wait to get mine installed!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.