Honda Grom banner

Akrapovic Monkey Exhaust

26K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  erazote30 
#1 ·
As the title states looking for any info/pictures on this system.

First saw that this system was now available from a fb post, with not much info otherwise. And I’ve only found one picture on their site.

I really like the stockish’ look of this system utilizing the factory heat shield. I saw Tyga or someone else come up with a similar looking set up, but honestly have never been impressed with the quality of other manufactures exhaust.

I’ve seen the monkey yoshi pipe in person and it’s build quality and and attention to detail are second to none. And I’ve had this exhaust in my shopping cart a few times. I keep holding back because of the very small gap that is now present in which you can see the frame (pretty much where your leg sits when on the bike)

I know this is a very small detail but it bugs me....was hoping the mnnthbx boys might be coming out with a faux frame cover kit to accommodate for the gap.

See less See more
#74 ·
The exhaust and header came in and I installed it last night. I re-installed the heatshield this morning because it hit as I went to bed that you need to pull the rubber gromits off of the stock exhaust and then connect them to the mounting points so that the heat shield doesn't rattle. I used some scrap pieces of foam at first, and it worked well, but the original stock ones made the fit much more tidy and snug. You can also use the oem washers from the old exhaust as a spacer between the rear shock and the back of the exhaust. I heard people with aftermarket shocks find that they barely clear, or touch the exhaust. Mine are stock and have no issues touching. I would guess that there's a half to 3/4's of an inch gap between the exhaust and shocks using 2 washers as spacers from the stock can. Also, the oem bolt that attaches the stock heat shield (which uses an allen head wrench to unscrew) doesnt seem to fit into the new attaching point. I had to scrounge around and just so happened to have a nut that fit. Used Loctite quite liberally on it. Other then those 2 things, the install was pretty straight forward. There are a lot of extra nuts left over that were used to mount the old exhaust.

Yes, the exhaust is loud. Without wearing earplugs I would say deafening at WOT. However, while it can be argued that "loud pipes save lives" it certainly gets people's attention. Had a lady in a Kia Soul literally pull out in front of me today and I managed to avoid her. I blipped the throttle a few time and glared at her as I passed as if I was growling at her. She lowered herself and hid behind her steering wheel. Worked for pedestrians that wanted to try their luck entering the roadway, too. With a flick of the wrist, they looked up and saw me coming, and decided against walking in front of me. Mostly, it makes the little Monkey sound like a bigger dirt bike. I had second thoughts about exchanging it for a Yoshi pipe (with a dB killer), but after asking the wife if I sounded obnoxious riding around the block, she said she could "hear me coming" but it was not nearly as loud as that jerk with the Hemi Redeye or even other cars with aftermarket systems on their cars.

Looks are pretty subjective, but I think it dresses up the bike nicely and makes it look like a little scrambler. It's definitely not everyone's cup of tea.

Lastly, I can tell there's a little more power. Not so much down low, but it does pick up towards the mid to top end of the rev range. There were plenty of hills I ascended that would need to shift into 3rd to gain any acceleration and I was able to take them in 4th, so long as travelling near or over 50. Engine only has 125 mi, so I have yet to take it up to her top speed. I'm hoping I can sit at 60 at least (gps) once I get my intake in.

If you're on the fence (and I was), I'd buy it if you 1) dont mind a pipe being fairly loud 2) love the aesthetics 3) dont mind shelling out a little more money - because, let's face it, there are better, less expensive exhausts. If you're looking for a quiet pipe that ups the power and are on a budget (or even just wanting to spend money elsewhere on the bike), I would probably just get the Yoshimura or something similar. I loved the looks, and THEN - quite surprisingly- fell in love with the noise. I do need to get better earplugs, though.

PS - This exhaust is SUPER LIGHT in comparison with the old exhaust, too!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.