Honda Grom banner

Akrapovic Monkey Exhaust

26K views 73 replies 21 participants last post by  erazote30 
#1 ·
As the title states looking for any info/pictures on this system.

First saw that this system was now available from a fb post, with not much info otherwise. And I’ve only found one picture on their site.

I really like the stockish’ look of this system utilizing the factory heat shield. I saw Tyga or someone else come up with a similar looking set up, but honestly have never been impressed with the quality of other manufactures exhaust.

I’ve seen the monkey yoshi pipe in person and it’s build quality and and attention to detail are second to none. And I’ve had this exhaust in my shopping cart a few times. I keep holding back because of the very small gap that is now present in which you can see the frame (pretty much where your leg sits when on the bike)

I know this is a very small detail but it bugs me....was hoping the mnnthbx boys might be coming out with a faux frame cover kit to accommodate for the gap.

See less See more
#39 · (Edited)
My tailpipe was also hitting the rear shock (running aftermarket shocks).

I pulled/bent it out slightly and it’s been fine. I have approx. 200 miles since installing and I just checked clearances and made sure all the bolts were still tight.

It’s substantially louder than stock.....not overwhelming but people will know your coming.

#43 · (Edited)
Has anyone tried installing the Akrapovic Slip-On to the stock head pipe?

I've found that mine simply does not clamp tight enough no matter what I've tried. Even with the C-clamp screw fully screwed in, I can easily remove it with one hand with little effort. Obviously there's a ton of leak. I have a hard time believing Akrapovic would mess things up that bad. Am I missing something?

#50 ·
Akrapovic doesn't include a new exhaust gasket, which they should, because gaskets are a consumable and the original can crack or crumble when removing the original silencer. It can also get stuck in the silencer, even though it is meant to stay with the header/cat. They don't mention anything about this in their instructions linked here, and they don't include any pictures that show the gasket in place.

Fortunately, Honda has been using the same gasket (Honda part number 18391-HB7-000) on dozens of models dating back to the 60's or 70's, so finding one cheap and in stock if yours is damaged shouldn't be a problem.

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/18391-HB7-000?ref=2795ec2796a688ddab6a3264a7ac31ce28aa41af

Interestingly, Yoshimura's instructions explicitly say to remove the muffler gasket, and that it will not be used with their slip-on.

#44 ·
I find the contrast quite important between the beautiful finish of the 2 mufflers exhaust and tubing (3 welds while a bending could be possible). and what about this round appendix !! but this is just a personal opinion and I do not question the quality or effectiveness of Akra products worldwide.
it goes with the tastes and the choice of each one. Fortunately, because if we all had the same products and the same opinions, life would be very sad.:wink:

#45 ·
I find the contrast quite important between the beautiful finish of the 2 mufflers exhaust and tubing (3 welds while a bending could be possible). and what about this round appendix !! but this is just a personal opinion and I do not question the quality or effectiveness of Akra products worldwide.
it goes with the tastes and the choice of each one. Fortunately, because if we all had the same products and the same opinions, life would be very sad.:wink:

That round piece has to be a heat shield. I actually think the design is quite clever to fit a long head pipe in such a short space.

#48 · (Edited)
That's interesting. :) How did you find this out?

My Flowmaster truck muffler is this exact model which uses two Helmholz resonating chambers to attenuate certain sound frequencies, but they're inside the muffler. It's all stainless steel so it never goes bad, never wears out, and never changes how it sounds... which is great! :) Is there any actual opening between that disk and the interior of the exhaust tubing, or is it only attached to the outside?

#52 ·
Here is a close up shot of the small connection between then header and resonator. Exhaust and sound goes in, bounces around and changes the characteristics of the exhaust tone.
Pipe Water Auto part Exhaust system Muffler

Have a a little over 100 miles on it now. Engine runs much better after I installed PCV and WB2. The raspy note noticeable mainly on deceleration is now gone. Some kind of fuel controller is necessary after letting the motor breath.

Attachments

#53 · (Edited)
Here is a close up shot of the small connection between then header and resonator. Exhaust and sound goes in, bounces around and changes the characteristics of the exhaust tone.
View attachment 81344

Have a a little over 100 miles on it now. Engine runs much better after I installed PCV and WB2. The raspy note noticeable mainly on deceleration is now gone. Some kind of fuel controller is necessary after letting the motor breath.
Thanks for the informative pic. The connection was very cleverly hidden. :)
There HAS to be a physical opening into an exhaust system to enable a Helmholz resonator to operate.

#55 · (Edited)
In Quibbly's eager rush to quibble...

...he neglected to read that the connection has to be into the exhaust, not just stuck onto the outside surface. That's the little tube hidden behind the mount connecting the two together.

#57 ·
In Quibbly's eager rush to quibble...

...he neglected to read that the connection has to be into the exhaust, not just stuck onto the outside surface. That's the little tube hidden behind the mount connecting the two together.
tooter you're so full of shit it makes my brain hurt.

your first post here was that it MUST be a heat shield. then upon hearing it's a resonance chamber you try to play the smart card.

go fuck yourself you stupid old bastard.

of course it's connected to the piping. what good would welding a chamber on to the exhaust be without connecting it into the piping?!

i'm done with you. i wish there was a go fuck yourself you stupid old cunt block function, but sadly there isn't so im stuck with seeing your old fuck ramblings about your shitty bike economy in every goddamn post. whether it has any relevance whatsoever or not. fucking hell.

the worthlessness of your opinions knows no bounds.
You two need to get a room and stop cluttering up threads with the bullshit. I'm very new to this forum, but I've already seen this bickering a handful of times. It's getting old guys. You're both adults, right? So can't we just act like adults and ignore each other?

I'm all for calling somebody out when they're wrong because spreading misinformation on a forum is so bad, but this isn't the way to do it.

#56 · (Edited)
tooter you're so full of shit it makes my brain hurt.

your first post here was that it MUST be a heat shield. then upon hearing it's a resonance chamber you try to play the smart card.

go fuck yourself you stupid old bastard.

of course it's connected to the piping. what good would welding a chamber on to the exhaust be without connecting it into the piping?!

i'm done with you. i wish there was a go fuck yourself you stupid old cunt block function, but sadly there isn't so im stuck with seeing your old fuck ramblings about your shitty bike economy in every goddamn post. whether it has any relevance whatsoever or not. fucking hell.

the worthlessness of your opinions knows no bounds.

#58 · (Edited)
He's a dumbass. He just wants to post pics of his shitty bikes, talk about his ecu on big bore threads, make self indulgent posts, and feed his confirmation bias. He's one of the lowest contributors I've ever come across.

He's posted about his fuel economy in almost every thread on here. What an idiot.

That's all...

#67 ·
Being openly insulted by wibbly is an epic achievement [emoji23] I'm jealous.

Anyway, kitaco cover improvement is an è exquisite lightening... But it's perceptible with progressive bike's upgrades only... Early Throwing tons of stuff on it don't let to experience the differences.. I perfectly remember cover install... Jesus christ I love this bike [emoji7][emoji23]

#68 ·
The loss of weight is nice, the revs do seem to climb quicker as I pull away from a dead stop. I did it mainly for the oil filter. Makes oil changes super easy.

Unfortunately, there is probably not enough room to run oil cooler lines from the supplied banjo fittings to an external oil cooler.

#69 ·
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I really love the look of this exhaust over the Yoshi. I'm just not a fan of the added decibels. I understand that there's going to be an increase in volume with any aftermarket I get, but this one seems to be one of the loudest examples and I actually LIKE my neighbors. Does anyone know if there are any db killers available for this? Or, alternatively, is this exhaust not as loud as others have claimed?

#70 ·
I really love the look of this exhaust over the Yoshi.
The Yoshimura is hideous, ruins the good looks of the Monkey.
is this exhaust not as loud as others have claimed?
I've ridden @bluestreak614's Akrapovic-equipped but otherwise stock 2019 Monkey, it is definitely loud, and the sound is deep, so it carries. You will hear it from indoors, but it won't be completely absurd or obnoxious, just a typical modified single-cylinder. I felt slightly inconsiderate when riding it in a residential area, it sounds like you may be of similar sensibility. I find that opinions on exhausts in forums disproportionately lean toward "louder=better", and many are outright hostile toward the idea that they might consider the effect that their personal decisions have on others.
Does anyone know if there are any db killers available for this?
As far as I know, there is no DB Killer offered for the Akrapovic. Why not just stay stock?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.