Parts Interoperability between the Grom and other bikes - Mod Responsibly
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Parts Interoperability between the Grom and other bikes - Mod Responsibly within the Grom Gear and Accessories forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; I bought my Grom because I knew that the platform was one I was mostly familiar and I knew the aftermarket support was plentiful and ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: Parts Interoperability between the Grom and other bikes - Mod Responsibly

This user has no status.

Member #

I bought my Grom because I knew that the platform was one I was mostly familiar and I knew the aftermarket support was plentiful and cheap. It's just a bigger fiddy after all. And before they hit the states, every bolt on the bike was just that, cheap as dirt. Since the US release, I've been watching the Grom/MSX labeled part prices go through the roof. This may be because the model created so much buzz over here, or because the target consumer of the Grom is the newer rider/kids group. Regardless, I'm sick of the greed. Most of this dusty, china made, parts-bin shit is not worth anywhere near the prices being asked. There's a ton of the same parts being sold for for a fraction of the price, it's just a matter of finding what they were originally intended for and hunting.

We're getting gouged on Grom parts that are really just re-purposed parts from other machines, so I think it's time to start a parts compatibility list.

The Grom platform is not new. It's based off the same engine/frame style/systems that Honda has been manufacturing for over 30 years. A good chunk of the parts from the Z50/XR50/CRF50 bikes will be direct bolt-ons. Many engine parts/mods for the Wave are compatible as well. People are seeing this, buying parts, re-branding them "Grom" and jacking the price up 3-4 times. Keep that in mind before hitting the "buy it now" button. Buyer beware! Don't get bamboozled. Arm yourself with information and do not patronize vendors that engage in this type of conduct.

So with that in the front of my skull, here is a small list of compatible parts from other bikes that I've found to work with the Grom with no or slight modification.

Throttle Tubes : YZ250F throttle tubes are direct replacements for the stock. Any yz250f quick-turn or throttle kits will bolt right up. If you're replacing the whole assembly with something from a different model machine, make sure the new kit is a 7/8 bar two wire style. It will likely work out fine. Cable length may be Grom specific. Go OEM or order custom length if necessary.

Controls : CBR250 Levers and perches are direct replacements, likely others. IF YOU BUY NEW LEVERS, LUBRICATE THE AREA BETWEEN LEVER AND PERCH! I've seen many a folk complain about the china levers sticking. Unless they are truly some ubershit brand from backwoods Xangxiou, a squirt of penetrating oil will make them perform just like the real CRGs. Since that's what most those knockoffs are copied from. If you're going to make whoolies, grab an EZ-Pull.

Mirrors : These are pretty universal, almost any cycle mirror will work. If what you get doesn't screw right in, there are 7/8 bar mirror perches for like 3$ on ebay. Or bar end, again 7/8 is the magic measurement for perches.

Aftermarket Rearsets :
    Bad data! Monkey rear sets DO NOT FIT.

Any CRF50 or monkeybike rearset kit should bolt right on. Most kits you see are exactly this. Re-branded monkeybike knockoffs designed for the Z50. Examine the pictures for the mount points to be sure.

Foot pegs
    : CRF50 pegs work for sure, so do 03-05 R6 pegs. I'm going to guess these things are pretty universal. Measure to be sure.

Brembo Brakes : The original versions of the Brembo calipers that folks are buying have been OEM equipment on Ducati monsters for years. You may be able to save yourself a few bucks hunting for "Ducati Monster Caliper" instead of "Brembo 34mm" MOST OF THE BREMBO GEAR FROM THE APAC REGION IS COUNTERFEIT! If you're buying brand new Brembo calipers for 20$, you're likely getting sub-par knockoffs made from pot metal. BEWARE!

Rear shock
    : Grom stock length is 241mm eye to eye, most the aftermarkets are 266mm. That's 9.5 and 10.5 inches. Any aftermarket CRF50 shocks in/around those dimensions will very likely work. Good chance you'll have to change your spring rate to compensate for the extra weight of the Grom though. Measure the stock eyelet width before ordering, just to make sure they match.

Handlebars : They're standard 7/8 bars, just make sure the height clearance will work with the set you get. Lots of MX brands or fiddy tall bar kits to choose from. Pro-Taper and TAG Metals are some of my favorites.

Grips : Again, standard 7/8 grips. Any brand will work, Oury is my fav.

Bar Risers/Fat Bar Conversions : Fat bar conversions are just 1" bar riser kits. These are pretty universal. Worst case scenario, you end up having to drill the mounting holes in the top triple a little larger. If you can reach the shelf the drill is on, you likely posses the skills necessary.

Sprockets : Older Z50 front sprockets are direct replacements. CRF/XR50 fronts have a different spline pattern. CRF50 rear sprockets have been reported to need drilling to fit, which is not recommended.

Chains : Any 420 chain kit will work.

More! More! More! : Let's build a comprehensive list! Post up what you've tested! If you think a part may work, please list it's dimensions to be compared against stock.

Lets all focus on being more informed consumers and drive market prices back down to the level they belong in.
    Last edited by mr_e; 09-15-2014 at 04:24 PM. Reason: Incorrect info

is Just gettin' started..

Member #
    Nice job, like what your doing here! I can confirm that the Works Performance CRF50 shock will mount up (is about 1/4 to 1/2 inch longer then stock) but spring is way off, will instantly bottom out with their heaviest spring. It does fit however..

is kaaaaakaaaaawwwwwwwww

Member #
    Crf rear sprockets are not direct replacement. You have to drill out bolt holes and this is not a good idea. I never tried a 50 front sprocket

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is :-)

Member #
    Odometer
    dang i wish i knew this about 2 weeks ago.. i just bought the g2 quick turn from mmnnthbx for $80!

oh well!

what lube should i use for the levers? did u see my video? the position would change with each squeeeze!

thanks for the info... some vendors, may not want to be yourfirends anymore though!!!! haha...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by forkseal View Post
    Crf rear sprockets are not direct replacement. You have to drill out bolt holes and this is not a good idea. I never tried a 50 front sprocket
    Updated the first post to reflect. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Shoebacca78 View Post
    dang i wish i knew this about 2 weeks ago.. i just bought the g2 quick turn from mmnnthbx for $80!

oh well!

what lube should i use for the levers? did u see my video? the position would change with each squeeeze!

thanks for the info... some vendors, may not want to be yourfirends anymore though!!!! haha...
    I did not see your video, but if the position adjuster moves under pressure, you definitely have bad levers. For the lube, any spray penetrating oil will work, or even straight up grease. Lube the pin that the lever pivots on, as well as the faces of the lever where it touches the perch. Then work it in.

And I really like the things MMNNTHBX puts out. I used to have a bunch of their goodies on my Ruck. I'm not saying don't patronize vendors here you know and love, I'm saying when you're hunting, know what you're looking at.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by mr_e View Post
    Aftermarket Rearsets : Any CRF50 or monkeybike rearset kit should bolt right on. Most kits you see are exactly this. Re-branded monkeybike knockoffs designed for the Z50. Examine the pictures for the mount points to be sure.
    If I recall correctly the Monkey rearset is a different bolt position with the upper bolt swished back with a bracket onto the frame. Also The top bolt is not the same bolt used as the pivot point of the swingarm like the Groms. The Monkey R or ZB50 for the American Market "might" have the same bolt pattern for rearsets. (I have to check my Z50J monkey to confirm the first part, but I am pretty certain they would not fit)

This user has no status.

Member #
    If you look at the Grom and the Zoomer X the front ends look similar. I wonder if some parts are interchangeable.

This user has no status.

Member #
    So just to update. The Monkey Z50 rear sets will NOT work with our groms. Do not go out and buy them expecting it to fit.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Updated the first post. Thanks guys!

is kaaaaakaaaaawwwwwwwww

Member #
    Xr80 sprocket will fit front sprocket on a grom perfectly

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links