H4 halogen headlight dims under load?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on H4 halogen headlight dims under load? within the Grom Gear and Accessories forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; I tried an LED bulb shortly after we got the GROM but the low beam burnt out soon after, before I was aware that the ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: H4 halogen headlight dims under load?

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km

I tried an LED bulb shortly after we got the GROM but the low beam burnt out soon after, before I was aware that the OG Groms supply AC.

I switched to a halogen H4 55/60 bulb and have been using that for awhile. I've just realized tonight that it's dimming under throttle/load. If I roll off the gas, it gets brighter.

It's dimmer at idle, brightens up when raise the RPMs. When riding, it gets brighter from idle when you first give it gas, but it does go dimmer again under load.

Has anyone seen this?
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    I should mention that this is with an SF rectifier.

It's possible that it could be my battery too. It sometimes is slow to turn the starter first crank. This was more evident after installing TB cam so unsure if related to cam profile.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    I charged and reconditioned battery overnight. Will see if there's any difference today.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Halogen lights are a HUGE electrical load compared to LED's.
    2018 GROM: Modified for reliability longevity gas mileage... and fun.

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    OG Grom comes stock with halogen, albeit 35W HS1.

It's the fact that it dims under throttle that's concerning me. Not sure why that would be happening?

Higher rpms should keep it consistently brighter?

Or is the fuel pump also starting to consume more power for example too?

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    CDN do you have a multimeter (voltmeter, VOM) to check electrical circuits?

If so, some Q's may be answered. If not, it is a moot point to type further.
    Last edited by WV_Grom; 09-15-2019 at 07:51 AM.
    tooter likes this.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    I do have one.

Let me see if the battery charge had made a difference. I expect it's still the original and it was definitely stalling on first crank.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I bought LED head light bulb on ebay back in 2015-16 time fame and they were the Turbo V16 model and they came in 2 per package and the price was about $16-20 back then so I bought 5 sets and they worked great for day time riding and night time riding, very bright.

Now I notice the price went up to around $40 each. I even used these on my other motorcycles and also my 82 RX-7 which I had to buy a housing that supports these bulbs.

I tried Halogen bulb but the current drain was too much for the grom.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V16-H4-CREE...oAAOSwND5dDeWi

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    I bought LED head light bulb on ebay back in 2015-16 time fame and they were the Turbo V16 model and they came in 2 per package and the price was about $16-20 back then so I bought 5 sets and they worked great for day time riding and night time riding, very bright.

Now I notice the price went up to around $40 each. I even used these on my other motorcycles and also my 82 RX-7 which I had to buy a housing that supports these bulbs.

I tried Halogen bulb but the current drain was too much for the grom.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/V16-H4-CREE...oAAOSwND5dDeWi
    These are what I run in my XC90 and my Duke 390. I've been very happy with them, very bright because they use a CREE XHP50 emitter.

I had the second H4 setup spare from the pair purchased for the KTM, so put that in the Grom right away but the low beam burnt out within a week.

So, I haven't bothered to trouble shoot whether the bulb or the driver, partly because I didn't want to take the other assembly out of the KTM.

Knowing I still want to have a spare on hand, I've ordered another pair of XHP50 based bulbs from another vendor. Will see how they compare when they arrive in a few weeks.

I took the bike up the street quickly after dark and I don't think it's doing the dimming anymore. At least not during the 5 mins I tried... I'll test again in next days but thinking the battery might have benefitted from the reconditioning cycles the charger put it through the other night.

is pew pew pew

Member #
    Personally not a fan of the XHP series CREE chips in retrofit LEDs.

Yeah they are bright, but they mess with the beam pattern so much, that most of those lumens end up on places other than the road.

I much prefer the new small Phillips LED chips that some manufacturers are using in series to imitate the same position and light pattern as a halogen filament. This provides more light on the road.

Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 is a good example of such bulbs.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links