H4 halogen headlight dims under load? - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

H4 halogen headlight dims under load?

This is a discussion on H4 halogen headlight dims under load? within the Grom Gear and Accessories forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Originally Posted by Cheburashka Personally not a fan of the XHP series CREE chips in retrofit LEDs. Yeah they are bright, but they mess with ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: H4 halogen headlight dims under load?

is dialing in the bike for my
    wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheburashka View Post
    Personally not a fan of the XHP series CREE chips in retrofit LEDs.

Yeah they are bright, but they mess with the beam pattern so much, that most of those lumens end up on places other than the road.

I much prefer the new small Phillips LED chips that some manufacturers are using in series to imitate the same position and light pattern as a halogen filament. This provides more light on the road.

Morimoto 2Stroke 2.0 is a good example of such bulbs.

Sent from my PH-1 using Tapatalk
    Interesting - first I've seen/heard of these. Good to know, thanks.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Grom View Post
    CDN do you have a multimeter (voltmeter, VOM) to check electrical circuits?

If so, some Q's may be answered. If not, it is a moot point to type further.
    I confirmed the bike still dims under load. Most noticeable on highway at WOT for a while. When roll off the throttle, lamp brightens up, almost flashes initially before staying bright until I go WOT again.

What are your suspicions WV? Are there any significant draws on system at WOT, fuel pump, injector etc?

I will go LED bulb regardless but would like to understand what's going on.
    2015 OG Grom in Yellow - AODRacing loop exhaust, ContiScoot tires, EBC HH front pads, RideItMoto levers, Renthal kevlar grips, Road low bars, CJR ECU, TB cam, MNNTHBX Mtake, Outerwears, Koso temp gauge, short shift linkage, TST sliders, Aliexpress tail tidy, Aliexpress axle sliders

Pending - oil cooler, CoreMoto braided lines, high mount exhaust, rearsets and GP shift conversion

is fiddling with RZ350's now!

Member #
    Odometer
    Quote Originally Posted by CDN Grom View Post
    I confirmed the bike still dims under load. Most noticeable on highway at WOT for a while. When roll off the throttle, lamp brightens up, almost flashes initially before staying bright until I go WOT again.

What are your suspicions WV? Are there any significant draws on system at WOT, fuel pump, injector etc?
    There are not any significant draw on the system at high RPM that there is at a lower RPM.

First throw your VOM across the battery and raise the throttle. You should see a significant jump in the charging rate. If not, take one connection off of the battery (to the electrical system), test again (no RPM needed). This is your base battery voltage. There should be a difference between the two voltages.

Test & reply & we will go further.

The next time that you are out on the bike, pay attention to the RPM range(s) where you see the apparent voltage fluctuations.
    2018 Grom
    Koso 170 4V/34mm TB/Koso injector/ DIY intake/ aRacer Mini5 + AF1 + DG1
    Koso pump & chain tensioner/ Stock clutch ring / 60% stiffer springs
    Takegawa Crank Support Bearing / Takegawa Catch Can / Kitaco Clutch cover
    Clear cam sprocket cover/ Egay oil Cooler
    Ohlins F&R / Hindle exhaust w DB killer / Galfer brake line w EBC HH Pads
    Pro Taper grips, G2 throttle tube / Gromfatherz axle spacers
    Kepspeed alum. swingarm / Bar end mirror, RAM mount, USB Port
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Member #
    Odometer

There are not any significant draw on the system at high RPM that there is at a lower RPM.

First throw your VOM across the battery and raise the throttle. You should see a significant jump in the charging rate. If not, take one connection off of the battery (to the electrical system), test again (no RPM needed). This is your base battery voltage. There should be a difference between the two voltages. Test & reply and we will go further.

The next time that you are out on the bike, pay attention to the RPM range(s) where you see the apparent voltage fluctuations.
    CDN Grom likes this.
    2018 Grom
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

is a squirrel

Member #
    If you are throwing in an LED then make sure the power supply to the headlight is converted to DC. I did the same thing you did and the headlight burnt out in a day. I did the one wire AC to DC conversion and it's been good ever since. The high beam indicator doesn't work anymore, but I really didn't care about that. Hard racing has a video on the conversion. It's part of their double bar headlight install video here:

2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by LordSquirrel View Post
    If you are throwing in an LED then make sure the power supply to the headlight is converted to DC. I did the same thing you did and the headlight burnt out in a day. I did the one wire AC to DC conversion and it's been good ever since. The high beam indicator doesn't work anymore, but I really didn't care about that. Hard racing has a video on the conversion. It's part of their double bar headlight install video here:

I'm running the SF rectifier which I understood precluded the need to do the above mod?

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I'm running the SF rectifier which I understood precluded the need to do the above mod?
    Have my 2014 grom with the upgraded SF rectifier and stator and have Zero issues with my LED head light or LED tail light or LED front/rear blinker lights

is a squirrel

Member #
    Ah you're right. I glossed over that detail in your post.
    2014 Grom
    Takegawa 143cc kit with S stage cam
    Kitaco clutch cover
    Takegawa oil pump with SUP modded catch
    PCX 150 injector
    SMR 6 disc clutch and 60% springs
    Koso clutch plate
    Opmid temp gauge
    Innovate MTX-L Plus AFR gauge
    EFIE
    Ebay exhaust, intake, and a bunch of other parts
    Seat Concepts seat
    OTB chain adjusters w/ spool
    14T/36T sprockets
    Pirelli SL26 tires

wife !

Member #
    Odometer
    3400 km
    Quote Originally Posted by WV_Grom View Post

First throw your VOM across the battery and raise the throttle. You should see a significant jump in the charging rate. If not, take one connection off of the battery (to the electrical system), test again (no RPM needed). This is your base battery voltage. There should be a difference between the two voltages. Test & reply and we will go further.

Voltage with key off 12.56V

Key on, not running, voltage drops to 12.17V

Running, at idle 13.45V

At 5000rpm 14.21V

Quick video that shows dip in brightness as I bring revs up.

Member #
    Odometer
    Put your VOM across the battery terminals and then retry the test (RPM). Best if your meter has a dial vs digital, but beggars can't be choosy. Does the voltage fluctuate when the headlight dims?

Now measure across the terminals of the bulb (inserted into socket and working) and retest. Same voltage? Measure the socket where the bulb inserts into (no bulb) Still fluctuating?

I wonder if it is a voltage regulator issue. Assuming our bikes have one...
    2018 Grom
    Seat Concepts / Opmid V2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links