Koso Thunderbolt Headlight
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Koso Thunderbolt Headlight within the Grom Gear and Accessories forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Hello, I’m not sure if this is the correct section to ask.....but has anyone installed a Koso Thunderbolt Headlight in a Grom? I ordered one ...

Thread: Koso Thunderbolt Headlight

This user has no status.

Member #

Hello, I’m not sure if this is the correct section to ask.....but has anyone installed a Koso Thunderbolt Headlight in a Grom? I ordered one and after it’s installed I have terrible voltage drop and the LED’s won’t fire. I have plenty of voltage before the harness adapter plug over 12v, but after the plug with the light installed it reads 5v. If I hook the light up directly to the battery it lights just fine. Has anyone else had this issue, and were you able to correct it?

Thank you for your time.

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    OG (non SF) grom headlight is AC. LEDs are DC.

SF headlight is DC, i think?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post
    OG (non SF) grom headlight is AC. LEDs are DC.

SF headlight is DC, i think?
    false.

would be interested to see this harness the guy is using and what bike he's trying to install it on.

the way the SF is wired is counter to what most would expect.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Here is the bike it originally had a LED headlight and turn signals when I bought it. The light that is light is a running light I am powering with a 9v battery to see what it would look like. The new turn Signals work fine.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Koso Thunderbolt Headlight-d9dad057-347a-4138-b99e-3d82e3239fae_1558088972527.jpeg   Koso Thunderbolt Headlight-793fe595-8915-455f-acc8-3193cf582b3f_1558089163311.png   Koso Thunderbolt Headlight-41512cec-97a2-445f-976a-5f8f197544a3_1558089199575.jpeg  

This user has no status.

Member #
    Hmmm...that should be plug n' play...
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock+PV3 Dank Tuned | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header+Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs+Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

This user has no status.

Member #
    That’s what I read too, that it is a “plug and play” set up. That is why I bought it, but it’s been a pain in my butt. I wanted to install it to gain clearance for the front tire because the bike is lowered 4”.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Have you tried contacting Tristan Page at TripageLED? I wonder if the adapter is faulty...
    mikochu

2018 Honda Grom (Matte Gray)
    Engine: DHM 186 | 2x ECU: DHM 186 & Stock+PV3 Dank Tuned | Koso DB-03R w/ RaceDash | UEGO | MTake | DHM Header+Cheap Slip-on | Kitaco 60% Springs+Stock Plate | Superlite 16/32
    Suspension:
    RacingBros Front (7.5N/mm) / Rear (100N/mm)
    Chassis: Chimera Race Bolt | Speed Spacers | Womet-Tech Sliders | NDC Adjusters | TST Fender Eliminator | ProTaper SE Honda Mini | Neverlandback Mirrors | Corbin Saddle | Driven TT Rearsets

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Take the conversion plug off and take a meter and put it into ohm setting, touch both the red/black leads to make sure the ohm reading is Zero how check the connection of the RED wire from one plug to the other plug and they should read Zero, do the same same for the other colored wires Blue and Yellow and if they check ok then the only problem left is that the wiring might be wrong for LED H4 connection.

Looking at various schematic of H4 connections some use the two side connection as GND and the other one as HI or Low beam and the top connector as either or.

Your light won't work until you start your motor which would up the voltage closer to +12 v instead of the low +5v. It's like any grom front head light where it don't come on until you fire up the motor and let it idle

looking at the conversion plug you have the RED wire is being jumped over to the Blue wire and the Yellow wire goes to the top connection.

That conversion plug you bought, you will no longer have a Hi-beam indicator work on your ODM cluster.

Good luck
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; Today at 09:40 AM.

Sponsored Links