Honda Grom banner

Questions Before i Dive In

1K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  nzgrom 
#1 ·
Hey All,

I am from New Zealand and looking at getting a Grom in the next few weeks.

I'm a big guy, 6 foot 2 inches and 120kg (265lbs) would i be too big for a Grom?

any body else my size have experience on the matter.

Thanks.

#7 ·
Hello HiKaz
There are actually about 9 of us in Christchurch one of which is a big burly Irish dude. He loves his bike. Just be aware Groms are a bit underpowered and you might find they don't have quite enough oompfff for you.

Sadly Honda really doesn't know how to sell groms in NZ. New old model grom goes for the price of a new model 250cc KTM duke.

We landed up importing 2 of the 2017 SF models in from AussieGrom for about the same price.

If you do land up with a grom, look up Chch grom riders on facebook. We occasionally get together for a group ride or wheelie practice.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 ·
Hey Victay,

I haven't actually rode a motorbike so wont have anything to compare it to, and its the only compromise i could make with my girlfriend to even let me get a bike...

Would you recommend Casbolts as the best Honda supplier for Christchurch if i wasn't going to bother with getting one imported for my first bike (may look at it down the line if BWH haven't sorted their shit out)

I will make sure i hit you guys up, i appreciate your advice.

Thanks.

#9 ·
My bf and I are also first time motorcycle noobs. Only got our learners about 4 months ago so can honestly say that the groms are super easy to learn to ride on and a heluva lot of fun. We use them to commute to work everyday and are also doing longer weekend camping trips on them. A lot of people worry about outgrowing a small motorbike, but with the grom there is always something you can learn about, modify for performance or accessorise.

Casbolts has been pretty good so far. They will basically ring round the other Honda dealers country wide and find one for you. As far as I know there aren't any more groms coming into the country so you might be limited with colour choice ( but the different colour plastics are pretty cheap to buy online anyway). And you get some peace of mind by going through a dealer especially being a first time owner, otherwise there are one or two second hand ones on trademe at the moment.

As long as you don't mind spending a bit more cash for a bit less bike and are prepared for the possibility of sinking some more cash in for future upgrades, then...just do it dude. Oh and while ur at it get your gf to buy one too :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.