Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Excessive moisture in oil

This is a discussion on Excessive moisture in oil within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Get a motorcycle cover and a good security Chain, all my motorcycles are covered up even if they are in a covered stall or car ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Excessive moisture in oil

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Get a motorcycle cover and a good security Chain, all my motorcycles are covered up even if they are in a covered stall or car port or garage, it keeps the dust and smog crude off the metal

This user has no status.

Member #

Smile Water in the oil

Guys,
    When I started the 170cc kit, I did a complete review of the stock bike. I have a thermocouple mounted in my Grom's drain plug. I road the bike for 25 miles, all through the rolling hills around West Bend, WI, and I never got the oil sump temps over 204'F. Around town it never goes over about 175'F. Perfect oil temperatures are in the 220/240 range. I need to know, because I didn't want the 170 Grom to have oil temp problems. I wanted to see, if it needed a cooler. So, change your oil out more often. I tend to do it every 1000 miles on my other bikes. I would do the Grom at 500 miles, no filter, and ball bearing. The spinner is not really a filter, it's an extra flywheel, because it's a single.
    Brian S
    Grom1202 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Have you tied Seafoam. It's a gas and oil additive, I use it on all my bikes. Bikes run better and it's a fuel stabilizer too. You can buy it at any auto parts store.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    2600+
    I have had the same problem on my MSX since day one.
    I change the oil every 500 miles and every ride is at least 30 minutes long (80% of that is WOT).
    The oil doesn't get contaminated, it just seems to be moisture in the crankcase..

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yeah I worded that poorly, my oil isn't contaminated either, just thick buildup around dipstick area.

I guess just oil changes often to be safe, since it's so cheap.

is braaap FMF!

Member #
    Have you been draining this crankcase breather tube mentioned in the the owner's manual? I've had to drain mine several times but have nothing in the oil fortunately.

Excessive moisture in oil-crankcase.png

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by push bike View Post
    Have you been draining this crankcase breather tube mentioned in the the owner's manual? I've had to drain mine several times but have nothing in the oil fortunately.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	crankcase.PNG 
Views:	107 
Size:	42.1 KB 
ID:	7621
    I'll give that a try, thanks for the suggestion!

is an e-thug wannabe

Member #
    I've noticed the little clear nub in the airbox (shown above) collects a bit of water, as it's supposed to. I notice it's full after a few rides, takes 10 seconds to slip it off and dump it. The oil in mine looks fine despite a bunch of rides in cold weather.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Looked at mine on the way to work and it does appear to be full. Gonna drain it when I get home, my fingers were to cold to try and get it off this morning.

is Its an MSX! ;)

Member #
    Odometer
    Mines got a little bit in the bottom, couldnt squeeze the circlip with my fingers though so ill have to leave it till i can get some needle nose pliers on the little sucker.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Links