Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Hello everyone I finally rebuilt the grom engine that broke about 8 months ago. So after 13 hours I put everything back on the frame ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please

This user has no status.

Member #

Hello everyone I finally rebuilt the grom engine that broke about 8 months ago. So after 13 hours I put everything back on the frame and reconnected all the wires lol I know that's way too long just to bolt stuff back. Well anyways I was super excited grabbed the key after finishing then went to start the bike and nothing :/ the bike will just crank but won't start. So I was hoping anyone could narrow down some possible scenarios of things I can do.
    So when I turn the key in the ignition I think I hear the fuel pump noise so it sounds like that's okay. But I did leave gas sitting in the tank for 8 months could this be an issue ?
    I checked the spark plug held it to the front end of the engine and saw sparks.
    I've checked the wires to make sure they are plugged in.
    It seems like it could be a simple thing but all input is appreciated thankyou

EDIT--- Brought the bike back from the shop and it finally runs after 8 months get to ride the most awesome bike ever! Two problems though
    1st -I lowsided the bike at the first intersection leaving the shop, damage is bent shift lever and scratches and handlebars on the left may have been bent a few cm.
    2nd issue - while the bike was running I opened the oil dipstick and pressurized air was blowing from there ..? Is this normal for the grom? If I remember right my friends grom did not do that when he pulled the dipstick out with the engine running ? Can anyone give some info on this please
    Last edited by HondaGrom+S2K; 05-25-2017 at 05:51 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Take the airbox tube loose, splash some gas in the intake (like a few drops) and hit the starter. If it fires you know you have a fuel delivery problem

This user has no status.

Member #
    Also keep a fire extinguisher handy

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    If the gas has been sitting that long the fuel prob is done drain it check spark and listen to the pump if it whines should be ok

This user has no status.

Member #
    What's up fox longtime no talk thanks for the info so if the fuel delivery is the issue then I just need to replace the whole fuel pump and throttle body correct ?

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by gromaste View Post
    If the gas has been sitting that long the fuel prob is done drain it check spark and listen to the pump if it whines should be ok
    Both my bikes sat that long when I broke my shoulder and they both fired up and ran fine when I was able to ride again. Gas should be fine.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

This user has no status.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by HondaGrom+S2K View Post
    What's up fox longtime no talk thanks for the info so if the fuel delivery is the issue then I just need to replace the whole fuel pump and throttle body correct ?
    Eh maybe not. If the fuel had ethanol in it, it'll settle to the bottom within a few months if it's not shaken up. Maybe the pump sucked the settled alcohol. Take that tank off, turn it upside down to drain most of it. take the black filter off the bottom and blow it out gently with air. Reinstall.
    Remove/Blow out the fuel line and then reinstall. Fill 1/4 fresh gas (just in case the pump did crap out you don't want to waste a full tank) and replace spark plug. Give it another try.

This user has no status.

Member #
    It could be a lot of things. If you take out the spark plug and put your thumb firmly on the spark plug hole while cranking does it blow your thumb off? If not you don't have enough compression to run, check your valve timing.

If you took your flywheel off, did you reinstall the key or make sure the flywheel was lined up with the key? Seen that happen before. Your ignition and fuel timing will be too far off to run if that happens.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
    Both my bikes sat that long when I broke my shoulder and they both fired up and ran fine when I was able to ride again. Gas should be fine.
    Non ethanol gas will be fine for that long. E10 can go bad incredibly fast. put some E10 in a mason jar, put the cap on and sit it on a shelf. Put regular gas in another jar and sit it right by the E10. Observe after just a few weeks. You may be very surprised.

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    Non ethanol gas will be fine for that long. E10 can go bad incredibly fast. put some E10 in a mason jar, put the cap on and sit it on a shelf. Put regular gas in another jar and sit it right by the E10. Observe after just a few weeks. You may be very surprised.
    Ethanol is all we have out here. My bikes ran fine after sitting that long.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links