Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please

This is a discussion on Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja Ethanol is all we have out here. My bikes ran fine after sitting that long. Out where? Here in ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 30
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Finally rebuilt the engine , diagnosis help please

  1. #11
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    4112
    Join Date
    Oct 2014
    Location
    Southeast GA
    Posts
    1,444
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
    Ethanol is all we have out here. My bikes ran fine after sitting that long.
    Out where? Here in the hot/humid Southeast you may have to rebuild carbs after 4 weeks of sitting with ethanol fuel. It'll suck up the humidity in the air and go bad really quickly.
    I don't know that fuel is his problem, but it really doesn't hurt or cost much to drain and put a bit of fresh in.
    Ridem32 likes this.

  2. #12
    Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    7646
    Join Date
    Jun 2016
    Location
    greenville nc
    Posts
    31
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    Out where? Here in the hot/humid Southeast you may have to rebuild carbs after 4 weeks of sitting with ethanol fuel. It'll suck up the humidity in the air and go bad really quickly.
    I don't know that fuel is his problem, but it really doesn't hurt or cost much to drain and put a bit of fresh in.
    thats definitely the case here in NC as well, that ethanol gas is hell on weedeaters, blowers, and everything else. it doesn't take long to go bad and gunk up a carb.

  3. #13
    Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    19762
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    31
    Stick to the basics first fuel air and spark check connections some of the simplest problems are over looked was the battery dead in the bike for 8 months also might want to do a pcm reset and throttle position learn
    Ridem32 likes this.

  4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements
     

  5. #14
    Senior Member
    is enjoying Grom Life.
     
    Old Goat Ninja's Avatar
    Member #
    6817
    Join Date
    Jan 2016
    Location
    Manteca, Ca
    Posts
    2,038
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    Out where? Here in the hot/humid Southeast you may have to rebuild carbs after 4 weeks of sitting with ethanol fuel. It'll suck up the humidity in the air and go bad really quickly.
    I don't know that fuel is his problem, but it really doesn't hurt or cost much to drain and put a bit of fresh in.
    California. We can't get gas without at least 10% ethanol in it.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

  6. #15
    Senior Member
    is Living the Dream
     

    Member #
    457
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    San Jose Calif
    Posts
    5,232
    Quote Originally Posted by HondaGrom+S2K View Post
    Hello everyone I finally rebuilt the grom engine that broke about 8 months ago. So after 13 hours I put everything back on the frame and reconnected all the wires lol I know that's way too long just to bolt stuff back. Well anyways I was super excited grabbed the key after finishing then went to start the bike and nothing :/ the bike will just crank but won't start. So I was hoping anyone could narrow down some possible scenarios of things I can do.
    So when I turn the key in the ignition I think I hear the fuel pump noise so it sounds like that's okay. But I did leave gas sitting in the tank for 8 months could this be an issue ?
    I checked the spark plug held it to the front end of the engine and saw sparks.
    I've checked the wires to make sure they are plugged in.
    It seems like it could be a simple thing but all input is appreciated thankyou
    Make sure your on/off switch is in the ON position.

    Check compression

    Check spark, remove spark plug, plug spark plug onto the wire, have plug near frame gnd and turn over engine and you should see spark jump across the gnd strap to the center of the plug. Make sure that you have some shaded area so you can see the spark. Make sure the spark plug wire is secured on the spark plug.

    take some WD-40 and remove the airbox or what ever and have the throttle body exposed, turn over the engine and spray WD-40 near the throttle body opening the engine should sputter or try to start, if it does then you have problem with the gas or fuel delivery system

    Make sure your Battery is fully charged.

    Oh when you check the compression, and you have none put the engine turns over, check the cam sprocket to make sure the tab is not broken or the sprocket is spinning correctly.

    good luck

  7. #16
    Senior Member
    is Turbo Grom
     
    BiG Chris's Avatar
    Member #
    746
    Join Date
    Aug 2013
    Location
    BAY AREA
    Posts
    1,019
    If if you have spark then check if your getting fuel, you can take the injector off the manifold and with it still plugged in crank the motor over and use a red shop towel while holding it and it should spray and its easy to see on the towel. So now if you have fuel and spark you need to check timing and valve lash. Let me know if that works first if not let me know.
    BCGarage - I offer services for your grom

    NOR-CAL EMPIRE
    KIWI2RACING
    STEADY GARAGE

  8. #17
    Junior Member
    is full throttle and going
    nowhere
     
    Davyboy's Avatar
    Member #
    4724
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Posts
    4
    If I were doing an engine rebuild n ran into a no start after I reinstalled it the first things I would check is making sure all the wiring is correct then the basic's check for spark n the timing is correct etc.

  9. #18
    Senior Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    7606
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    CA
    Posts
    184
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    It could be a lot of things. If you take out the spark plug and put your thumb firmly on the spark plug hole while cranking does it blow your thumb off? If not you don't have enough compression to run, check your valve timing.

    If you took your flywheel off, did you reinstall the key or make sure the flywheel was lined up with the key? Seen that happen before. Your ignition and fuel timing will be too far off to run if that happens.
    Quote Originally Posted by gromaste View Post
    Stick to the basics first fuel air and spark check connections some of the simplest problems are over looked was the battery dead in the bike for 8 months also might want to do a pcm reset and throttle position learn
    Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    Make sure your on/off switch is in the ON position.

    Check compression

    Check spark, remove spark plug, plug spark plug onto the wire, have plug near frame gnd and turn over engine and you should see spark jump across the gnd strap to the center of the plug. Make sure that you have some shaded area so you can see the spark. Make sure the spark plug wire is secured on the spark plug.

    take some WD-40 and remove the airbox or what ever and have the throttle body exposed, turn over the engine and spray WD-40 near the throttle body opening the engine should sputter or try to start, if it does then you have problem with the gas or fuel delivery system

    Make sure your Battery is fully charged.

    Oh when you check the compression, and you have none put the engine turns over, check the cam sprocket to make sure the tab is not broken or the sprocket is spinning correctly.

    good luck
    Quote Originally Posted by BiG Chris View Post
    If if you have spark then check if your getting fuel, you can take the injector off the manifold and with it still plugged in crank the motor over and use a red shop towel while holding it and it should spray and its easy to see on the towel. So now if you have fuel and spark you need to check timing and valve lash. Let me know if that works first if not let me know.
    Quote Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
    If I were doing an engine rebuild n ran into a no start after I reinstalled it the first things I would check is making sure all the wiring is correct then the basic's check for spark n the timing is correct etc.
    Thanks for all the input guys I appreciate it so I brought it back to the shop and I guess the issue was after taking off the top end it needed an intake and exhaust valve seal thing. That's what was causing low to no compression. So hopefully once the parts arrive that's all it needs. Can't wait to ride the grom lol
    Ridem32 likes this.

  10. #19
    Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    19513
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    58
    A valve stem seal will not cause low compression. But will cause it to let oil by it causing it to burn oil and smoke. If valves are adjusted correctly then I would check my rings if compression is low


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Davyboy likes this.

  11. #20
    Member
    This user has no status.
     

    Member #
    19513
    Join Date
    May 2017
    Posts
    58
    Are do you mean the valve seats. If valves are not seating then they need to be lapped. Not seating could cause low compression


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 08-26-2016, 08:47 AM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last Post: 12-10-2015, 11:32 AM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-19-2014, 10:37 PM
  4. It's finally here!!!!
    By Kstequila in forum Grom Pictures/Videos
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-24-2014, 04:30 PM
  5. Finally! It is here!
    By rkwfxd in forum Off-Topic
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 08-01-2013, 11:31 AM