Takegawa Camchain Tensioner Arm UPGRADE 01-14-0007
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Takegawa Camchain Tensioner Arm UPGRADE 01-14-0007 within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; . If you have a BBK or 4v head........ you know what this is, and why you need it. ;-) Key Points: - Improved performance ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: Takegawa Camchain Tensioner Arm UPGRADE 01-14-0007

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #

If you have a BBK or 4v head........ you know what this is, and why you need it. ;-)

Key Points:

- Improved performance
    - Lighter weight Arm
    - Wider Foot
    - New Pivot Bushing
    - C-Clip Retaining Ring for Quick Wheel replacement

CLICK HERE for more details :
    >> CAMCHAIN TENSTIONER ARM <<

HardRacing.com - 704-799-2192
    See our complete >> GROM PARTS CATALOG <<
    Check out our Youtube Channel for Lots of Great Parts Installation Videos >> GROM CHANNEL<<
    Ohlins Premier Dealer, Great Prices, Tech.Support, Full Staff of Sales Reps, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping,
    Large Inventory and Excellent Customer Service.
    Celebrating our 17th year in business

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    I def like this better than the last one.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    another insanely expensive option which really doesn't solve the issues at hand.... Its simply a CT70 (10 bucks?) wheel on a flashy piece of metal. If you are going to do it right, you replace the rubber button on the tensioner rod with a nylon or brass piece... thus a bigger foot on the arm is not needed. The CT70 wheel is better than stock, but not nearly as good as a metal gear option that others have done.

The finbro arm (ct70 wheel on a stock arm) is cheaper and it comes with a proper nylon tensioner button.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Supporting Vendor
    This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    another insanely expensive option which really doesn't solve the issues at hand.... Its simply a CT70 (10 bucks?) wheel on a flashy piece of metal. If you are going to do it right, you replace the rubber button on the tensioner rod with a nylon or brass piece... thus a bigger foot on the arm is not needed. The CT70 wheel is better than stock, but not nearly as good as a metal gear option that others have done.

The finbro arm (ct70 wheel on a stock arm) is cheaper and it comes with a proper nylon tensioner button.

Think the jury is still out on the METAL Sprocket.
    There's got to be some logic why "most" everyone (Honda, Takegawa, Kitaco) are still using a rubber wheel.
    Dominic Jones and a few other are already finding wear marks from his metal sprocket.

Only time will tell.

GROM_MSX likes this.
    HardRacing.com - 704-799-2192
    See our complete >> GROM PARTS CATALOG <<
    Check out our Youtube Channel for Lots of Great Parts Installation Videos >> GROM CHANNEL<<
    Ohlins Premier Dealer, Great Prices, Tech.Support, Full Staff of Sales Reps, Fast WORLD WIDE Shipping,
    Large Inventory and Excellent Customer Service.
    Celebrating our 17th year in business

This user has no status.

Member #
    The metal sprocket came loose from the bearing on one tensioner.. guy caught it just in time. The metal sprockets are designed for industrial applications turning a couple hundred rpm, not thousands. I'd rather clean rubber bits and shavings out of my engine than replace cases+ other hard parts if a metal sprocket or bearing fails catastrophically and launches hardened steel bits everywhere.
    obijuanito and ALanS like this.

This user has no status.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post

I made my own Finbro arm and manual tensioner. I've had good luck with it- but I'm going Takegawa just so I can replace the wheel every thousand miles or so. By the first wheel change I'd have saved $ over buying the sealed Finbro unit twice. I could continue to make my own Finbro arms, but I'd have to run to my buddy's shop to borrow his welder every time, eating up an hour or so each time and my time is valuable.

This user has no status.

Member #
    How would you rate the Takegawa tensioner arm compared to the Kitaco arm? Both are the same price.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    um, the bearing will take many thousands of rpms, its a full roller bearing.... mine has been fine. why rubber? cheaper. quieter. in stock form they work fine.
    on the chain ones: were the bearing covers pulled off so they can get oil on the ones that have had issues? were the arms centered so the sprocket wasnt side loading against the chain? im not saying its the end all be all but my rubber wheel disintegrated, and was metal roller on the chain. maybe mine was in particular a dud? who knows. but i agree 87 bucks is steep for an arm. 50? id pay. for 90, i'll make my own on a mill if i feel the need. no hard feelings, but its a bit much.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Fox85 View Post
    The metal sprocket came loose from the bearing on one tensioner.. guy caught it just in time. The metal sprockets are designed for industrial applications turning a couple hundred rpm, not thousands. I'd rather clean rubber bits and shavings out of my engine than replace cases+ other hard parts if a metal sprocket or bearing fails catastrophically and launches hardened steel bits everywhere.
    I just wanted to share some info about what happened to that upgraded tensioner where the sprocket came loose from the bearing....out of 105 units I sold from last year and this year up to now...only (1) was claimed to believed to have gone bad. And that is the one where the sprocket came loose. That particular unit and two others were defective when it came out from us. After realizing the defect, we contacted the buyers to not install them and will send a replacement. The two other customers agreed to get a replacement and the only who did not agree was that particular one that failed. The buyer did not want to NOT install it because he has a ride he wanted to go the next day. Also, if you look at the postings of this person in fb, you will also realized that he had blown up several bbk's, multiple finbro upgraded tensioners, one of mine @1500mi and recently the new Takegawa upgraded arm that only lasted him 175 miles. So the nagging questions that i have is why is it that the other 104 units i sold are still out there working???? Takegawa Camchain Tensioner Arm UPGRADE 01-14-0007-17362500_1273594402724266_1603720431031172332_n.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Takegawa Camchain Tensioner Arm UPGRADE 01-14-0007-17361979_1273594399390933_982862138159602835_n.jpg  

This user has no status.

Member #
    That picture is the one the guy posted today on FB with the Finbro arm (not Takegawa) which was fitted with the stock rubber wheel with plastic bushing. It wasn't going to last long with that wheel on it and he knew it. He also had a rocker pivot chew through the retaining plate, so he's got multiple problems in his valve train anyway that could be causing his issues. Good on you for reinspecting and making sure your customers are happy. I was just pointing out that if the pressed joint between the bearing and sprocket ever comes apart (as his did) and if the sprocket comes off it has more potential to do catastrophic damage than the rubber wheel does.
    ALanS and lordstanley like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links