Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; decided to start mocking up the external oil cooler while still using my modified airbox. I did have to trim the lip of the filter ...

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design

is Living the Dream

Member #

decided to start mocking up the external oil cooler while still using my modified airbox. I did have to trim the lip of the filter holder so I could have a better clearance of the front forks.

I first duck taped the oil cooler where I wanted it to be mounted

I then cut out a strip of cardboard and laid out the frame/mounting bracket design

laid out the cardboard onto the metal for bending and shaping into the design I wanted.

this is the first phase in the oil cooler mounting and future improvements will be done after a shake down cruz to see if parts are rubbing or hitting the front tubes when turning left or right. The future improvement will be better metal for the bracket and adjustable design for groms that have the OEM airbox removed and DIY unit installed.

So far about $2 spent on the metal and oil cooler was about $35-40 or less from ebay and my time designing the brackets.
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 03-19-2017 at 12:27 AM.
    8701michael likes this.

is bTuUsNaAnSuUtB

Member #
    Hot air intake

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    think its time to ditch the airbox..
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    think its time to ditch the airbox..
    Nope tried using the Chimera air system and had no improvement with both my builds and found that the forced air system was better. A bracket will also be made where the horn is and the horn will be removed and a electric fan will be installed there and the horn button will be used to trigger the fan when I stopped in traffic or when I see that the temps are higher than normal. Part of the process for my design on my grom build.

by the way you figure out your electrical problem with no spark and firing of your engine?????? Did the wire harness fix the problem?
    MellowYellow likes this.

Member #
    havent touched it yet, working on other projects right now but might get to it this evening..

im not running a chimera, using a much bigger tube that puts filter over the top of the oil cooler in cool air. cooler air is denser, the oil cooler in front of it is a bad idea.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Strokd_GE View Post
    Hot air intake
    warm air atomizer to ride my Tuna Sub bus so I can bus a nut

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    havent touched it yet, working on other projects right now but might get to it this evening..

im not running a chimera, using a much bigger tube that puts filter over the top of the oil cooler in cool air. cooler air is denser, the oil cooler in front of it is a bad idea.
    I know cold air is good for intake, but I figure I will try this mount before figuring something else. I will ride around and see if my engine stays cool at freeway riding and see if performance changes or not. I was looking at side mounting it sort of like the RC-51 but I needed a small oil cooler so I can stuff it in place of the front black plastic and maybe run two small oil coolers, left and right side front in place of the black plastic panel.

I know my Hayabusa runs faster and better in the rain or winter time around here.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Air that goes to the motor has to be as cold as possible. It works to make more powerfull explosions, to keep the head and piston cooler, to delay detonations, to keep the octanes of the mixture... Overall to make things work better. Thats why r bikes take intake air from the front of the bike, so it does not warm up from the engine temperature. Also fuel should be as cold as possible (in races we, as many other teams, have refrigerators to mantain fuel cold, and cover the gas tank with isolating sheets in the grid).
    I would never place radiators or coolers in front of the intake.

Enviat des del meu LG-V500 usant Tapatalk

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by obijuanito View Post
    Air that goes to the motor has to be as cold as possible. It works to make more powerfull explosions, to keep the head and piston cooler, to delay detonations, to keep the octanes of the mixture... Overall to make things work better. Thats why r bikes take intake air from the front of the bike, so it does not warm up from the engine temperature. Also fuel should be as cold as possible (in races we, as many other teams, have refrigerators to mantain fuel cold, and cover the gas tank with isolating sheets in the grid).
    I would never place radiators or coolers in front of the intake.

Enviat des del meu LG-V500 usant Tapatalk
    R and D for the rest of the people that would not do it "think outside the Box", stay tuned, remember this is not a Hayabusa but a fun motorcycle to piss off the neighborhood and guys with Harleys

Done enough testing for the rest of the new grom owners to know what works and what don't, if you see my tail lights your grom is slow

Ride safe all
    Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 03-19-2017 at 02:03 PM.

Member #
    then put the lid back on yours, you're the one who wanted 'ram air'. i love it when you insult the whole forum, especially the engineers and race guys that disagree with you out of experience and things like math and logic. it def makes for fun reading on a sunday afternoon.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links