Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design

This is a discussion on Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I think my opinion wasnt disrespectfull at all. I argued my opinion with facts. If i read something i think its wrong, being this a ...

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Thread: Mock up of oil cooler with mod airbox, first fitting before improving design

This user has no status.

Member #
    I think my opinion wasnt disrespectfull at all. I argued my opinion with facts.
    If i read something i think its wrong, being this a forum, i think i can give my opinion (always with facts).
    Sorry if you took it as a personal offense. I wont opinate anymore on anything you do.

Enviat des del meu LG-V500 usant Tapatalk

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    then put the lid back on yours, you're the one who wanted 'ram air'. i love it when you insult the whole forum, especially the engineers and race guys that disagree with you out of experience and things like math and logic. it def makes for fun reading on a sunday afternoon.
    Like I said it is not a Hayabusa, which I have, it is just a fun project bike to learn or burn.

You should see when friends told me that super trapp exhaust system sucked on Harleys, I installed mind and did a little tuning and out ran their Harley going to Laughlin river run riding from San Jose to Nevada and Arizona.

is bTuUsNaAnSuUtB

Member #
    Keep at it cisco

Im going to try hexagonal tires next on my Grom. I know round tires are better but I figured I'd give it a shot for the sake of R&D

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Sip'n Texas Tea

Member #
    Odometer
    Anyone see the myth busters episode with the square tires? It was entertaining.
    Not PC

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    i don't care about your stupid 'busa or that boat anchor. that's not what we're talking about. trust me, i have 2 buildings full of cool toys, that has nothing to do with understanding the characteristics of how an intake works. you posted your crazy duct tape design for preheating the air charge on an intake on an aircooled single. its a bad idea. period theres no r&d needed. its not 'r&d' at ALL.
    a_morti likes this.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Ouch, those replies were a little tough to read, but i do agree, that's not the best location for an oil cooler. Would you be able to make your bracket longer to hang the oil cooler below the air filter? It should still clear the forks. Where it's at now it is like putting the air box lid back and the oil cooler will be a source of heat.

Just tossing you some options, keep on with your project

This user has no status.

Member #
    If anything mount that oil cooler directly below the airbox.... jezus, seriously, right infront of your air intake, like EVERYONE else has stated, bad idea.... you should feel the how hot the air is coming off of my oil cooler as i cruise on my grom, NO WAY id want that hot air charge entering the motor.

Seriously, you need to either ditch the stock airbox as it takes up way to much damn room, or mount your oil cooler somewhere else!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    .... you should feel the how hot the air is coming off of my oil cooler as i cruise on my grom, NO WAY id want that hot air charge entering the motor.
    That is an interesting observation; thank you for sharing it.

Maybe I am in the minority here, but I appreciate the OP sharing his mods and designs with the rest of the forum. Perhaps the OP will be "re-discovering" that which is already pretty well expected, but part of the fun of a bike like the Grom is the ease with which we can tweak it to our custom tastes.

I have often felt that the tappet-cover oil cooler mounting option is a bit of a contradiction (lesser of two evils, perhaps?) as well: Sure, we are lowering the oil temperature via an external oil cooler, but such a mounting arrangement also reduces airflow over the cylinder head. Still, people do it...and report improved engine cooling, so....?

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    still more airflow than a big airbox in the way. my cooler is mounted above the cyl as you mentioned, but i also have open vents in the cowl (screen) so it flows though the bodywork. you can actually feel the heat fromt he cyl a bit at low speed coming through the vents and out when its warm outside . beats being trapped in there.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I do know warm air is not good for intake and such, and like I said this is phase one of testing, there will be monitoring done on the air box temp before install and after the install of oil cooler. Design will change if need be and this is only Beta phase before any improvement is made.

The best part about this topic is grom owners get to see what effects will happen or failure will happen, this is a side hobby and I share with the rest of the group, sort of like a show and tell, and feed back. There is a gap on the bottom of the oil cooler to the air box filter which is about a 1 inch which allows cold air flow, plus the filter does not allow full air flow but buffers some of the hot air to bounce off the filter and either go over the air box or to the sides.

I will not know the answers until I do a shake down test and cold air monitoring and A/F monitoring and final riding monitoring.

Remember people thought the earth was flat and the sun rotated around the earth and etc.

Let me see for myself if this oil cooler location will be ok and report back.

ride safe all
    Paultergeist likes this.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Sponsored Links