My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170 within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Phase 1 started tonight, removed body plastic, exhaust system and now it's dark. This will be a slow build want to make everything just right ...

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
Like Tree40Likes

Thread: My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170

is Living the Dream

Member #

Phase 1 started tonight, removed body plastic, exhaust system and now it's dark. This will be a slow build want to make everything just right before summer. So it looks like I will be riding my Finbro 183 until my build is done.

Only thing I'm on the fence is getting a 5 speed transmission or not and debating if I do which brand to get, Takegawa or Kitaco
    gromlin_no, GSX and 8701michael like this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Looking forward to seeing this,

I like my takegawa 5 speed box. really helps keep just endless acceleration. It transforms the way you ride the bike though.

if you like holding revs at a certain power band, it's great, if you prefer to drive a torque band then stay 4 speed.

positives of the takegawa you keep the stock final drive, so your speedo still works, your srd settings can remain unchanged.
    you don't need any other speedo stuff. Neutral light still works.

Shifts are smoother, sharper and faster. Neutral is easy to find.
    Transmission gear widths of 5sp are identical or wider per gear. The space is saved by putting the dogs internal of some gears instead of wasting half the gearbox space like the stock 4sp does.

negatives are slightly higher 1st gear, 7km/h at idle with 15T front sprocket (stock gearbox 6km/h at idle). Not a big deal if you don't ride technical off road. This being said the kitaco trades out the gearing in the other direction, the overall spread from 1st to 5th is still roughly the same regardless of which one you buy.

The gearing seems initially crazy close together, but you get the hang of it quickly.

Cheers
    Juls
    Last edited by Juls; 03-04-2017 at 07:30 AM.
    GSX likes this.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    I drained the oil this morning and removed the rear chain/and counter sprocket and disconnected the sensor cables. I also disconnected the throttle body and any other hardware that keeps the grom engine on the frame. I also took some pictures so I can remember how to put the parts back on.

Drain oil and remove hardware and cables and clutch cable

remove counter sprocket

remove engine

even lighter with out the engine

gromlin_no and MSX UD ITA like this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Parts that will be going on the build will be

Takegawa 181-4V super head BBK kit

Kitaco upgraded crank and rod

lighten flywheel

Koso 34mm throttle body with all the hardware

Takegawa head port and polished and inlet port match to Koso 30mm inlet tube.

Hopefully if Franco has in stock Finbro 204 full exhaust system, just need the pipe since the muffler for the 183 should fit with no problem

Not sure about the 5 sp yet, noticed that the Takegawa is ok if you want the neutral light to work on the indicator display.

Not sure what F/I to use.

Upgrade cam chain unit using Kitaco arm and modifying the pin so I can use the metal sprocket with real bearings.

with the case a part I might open up the Crank case vent hole or put a second vent hole some where on the case to reduce internal engine pressure.

Fuel manage system, might use my PCV or go to something else.

That's it for now, time to clean the outer case and start removing the clutch basket, oil pump and fly wheel unit.
    Paultergeist likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    That 204 pipe is beautiful.

is Loving the Big Bore life!

Member #
    From Texas. Lived in Southern California for a bit. Currently in Central Florida.
    Odometer
    I was under the impression that the Takegawa 4V kit came with some kind of 8 hole injector. If it didn't or you feel like swapping it, I'm sure a 10 hole will work. I know they can take a bit to learn on the Koso 170 4V, but then they're great. Should be similar here, if not easier.
    Koso 170
    Finbro Big Valve head & TB
    Kitaco Type 2 Cam
    PCV/WB2

is Living the Dream

Member #
    took a part the clutch housing, oil pump, fly wheel this morning. Still debating of which 5 speed unit to install Takegawa or Kitaco, I'm more concern about reliability.

Tips for future BBK kits build by first time grom mechanics. If you are not sure how the items removed going in it's order such as spacers, bearings, shims, washers, etc, you can use zip ties to hold the unit in place as how it is put back together back onto the case.

A good set of tools made to take off these parts is required so is a good electric M18 impact driver to help loosen up those nuts.

the head/cylinder and piston looked really good as far as I know when removing them from the motor

This is the original cam chain wheel that is worn at over 9,000 miles. The new modified sprocket unit with the Kitaco arm will take it's place

I rechecked everything for abnormal wear and possible failures in the future.

Last edited by CiscoSanJose; 03-07-2017 at 06:16 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    you got that thing broken in yet? Mulholland.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockPointer View Post
    Nope, waiting for my Takegawa 5 speed transmission to come in, three week wait. I also have to port n polish my intake port of my Takegawa head and match the intake hole to the koso 30mm inlet tube. Going to change the look of the grom and l'm looking at some wheel bearings ceramic bearings since I think they are lower in cost per performance vers a full carbon fiber wheels.

Still figuring out the mounting setup for my external oil cooler and last item is that I'm looking a Aracer stand alone ECM vers the PCV-WB02 setup which I already have.

Right now just cleaning off the motor case of old grease/oil/road grim and such.

Have to take my time since I got other things around the house going out that need fixing, Dryer not drying, washer spin cycle not spinning all the water out of the clothes which is more than likely a clogged water pump with bobby pins and crap and last of all clearing the over icing of the refrigerator. All these home items are Maytag and is over 15 yrs old, old shit break down.

Plus waiting in the wings is a fleet of drones that I build and modify that need some attention also.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockPointer View Post
    So I assume you run into my friends from the LABUSA website that ride their Hayabusa and go fast MC up Mulholland, Guys like Bear , Gar,Nickslick, CDolan and the rest of the gang from the Ranch "San Diego side".

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links