My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170 - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170

This is a discussion on My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170 within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Nah, I'm over in Texas, got our own testing grounds....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: My Takegawa 181-4v build started today, tearing down my BrianS 170

This user has no status.

Member #
    Nah, I'm over in Texas, got our own testing grounds.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by GlockPointer View Post
    Nah, I'm over in Texas, got our own testing grounds.
    Texas get pretty hot, hope you have a good external oil cooler and are you using full synthetic oil. I just switched over to AMSOIL 10/40 for the first time on my Finbro 183 grom which has over 6K miles on the ODM. Seems to help out since I see 230F at the high end now after riding the freeway around here at WOT.

Hey ride safe

This user has no status.

Member #
    I am enjoying this build thread. Thank you for posting -- especially the photos.

Quote Originally Posted by CiscoSanJose View Post
    .....Still figuring out the mounting setup for my external oil cooler.....
    I will be very interested in what you decide. I am also trying to decide where to mount an external oil-cooler -- either up high (and ditch the airbox) or lower on the cylinder head. I see pros ad cons with either approach.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Paultergeist View Post
    I am enjoying this build thread. Thank you for posting -- especially the photos.

I will be very interested in what you decide. I am also trying to decide where to mount an external oil-cooler -- either up high (and ditch the airbox) or lower on the cylinder head. I see pros ad cons with either approach.
    I thinking up high using those two open holes on the main frame as a support with some type of frame bracket being secured by those holes and the fame/long rod or something to that coming down and using the bracket mount that came with my Chinese made 5 channel oil cooler. Lots of neat ideas in my head. Oh and I will still have my open mouth modified OEM airbox, right now I will trim back the cut out front piece that holds the air filter in place because with my future design of the mounting bracket going full left the oil cooler hits the front left tube just a bit.

have to trim the lip about 1/4 to 1/2" back. Notice the over hang of the frame, that part needs to be cut out and that should be enough space for the external oil cooler mounting. By cutting out the extra lip area it will remove one of the drain plug with the black nipple/plug. I could go from the airbox 2 bolt nut and make a frame coming our like what HR sales or I can try to build one my way.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Decided to clean the engine case since I'm still waiting for my 5 speed transmission. I cleaned around the counter sprocket area which was caked with chain lube. I did notice something that was wrong with the cam chain tensioner arm.

wipe down the area round the arm and found lots of metal shavings so when I crack open the case everything will have to be wiped down and also wiped over with a magnet to hopefully pickup any metal shavings.

cam chain tensioner arm touch down with gear, possible problem due to worn down wheel or my spacer unit that BrianS made for my kit way back in 2014.

This user has no status.

Member #
    thats due to the worn down wheel allowing the rod to come further up.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    yup. bummer. fucking rubber wheels
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Federal Express shows up and I thought it was a April Fools joke when a package arrived, and now I have to split the case.

Thanks HR, my Takegawa 5 speed transmission and Kitaco cam chain arm arrived. Time to modify the pin on the Kitaco arm so my metal sprocket will mount correctly.

is not proof-reading much

Member #
    There was a post on FB showning one of the metal wheel style cam chain rollers having failed. Monkey Father later posted a comment about it saying the metal wheel carries too much inertia and resulted in the failure (toothed metal wheel seperated from the bearing center it spins on.) Monkey Father also stated that the cam chain roller wheel needs to be considered anconsumable part that simply needs to be replaced more often due to the stresses of BBK and/or 4v heads. That said, the new Kitaco and Takegawa cam chain rollers looked much improved over the FinBro version. Being that the wheels are easily replaceable, they have a wider foot for the tensioner button to ride against as well as the upgraded button itself.
    FinBro 235 4v #001 - Daily Driven.

is not proof-reading much

Member #
    FinBro 235 4v #001 - Daily Driven.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links