ECU vs. PCV vs. Fuel Controller.....confessing ignorance
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on ECU vs. PCV vs. Fuel Controller.....confessing ignorance within the Grom Talk forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I am trying understand a little more about all the electronic thing-a-ma-bobs inside of a Grom. Any help is appreciated: Here is what I *think* ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: ECU vs. PCV vs. Fuel Controller.....confessing ignorance

This user has no status.

Member #

I am trying understand a little more about all the electronic thing-a-ma-bobs inside of a Grom. Any help is appreciated:

Here is what I *think* thus far:

ECU (Engine Control Unit): Controls spark and fuel injection. The Grom has a STOCK ECU, but there are after-market ECUs available.

PCV (.....***.....): Not to be confused with Positive Crankcase Ventilation, this is a small electronic box which can be added to a stock Grom (plugs into stock ECU) for more power and/or tuning of the engine. (Example: "Dyna Jet Power Commander"). As I understand it, a Grom does not have such a PCV device as stock -- such a PCV would be an "ad-on?"

Fuel Controller: I think this is something again added to a bike which would not be present as stock? (Example: "Dyna Jet Auto-Tune"). This would plug into the PCV......I think...?

I am just trying to better understand what the bike already has (stock), and what can be gained from some of these add-on items?
    Old Goat Ninja likes this.

is a-suh dude

Member #
    Simple:

Every Grom has an ECU of some sort.

As your bike stands, it just has an unmodified factory ECU that can't be adjusted.

PCV is a standalone type of ECU that replaces the factory ECU for an entirely adjustable one.

Fuel controller is basically a piggyback for the factory ECU to intercept the sensors and modify the readings.

This user has no status.

Member #
    PCV is not a standalone and is a piggyback. PCV is a fuel controller.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    I thought PCV only stood for the Power Commander 5 product made by Dynojet

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    ¯\(°_o)/¯ '98 WR400 Supermoto : '09 Ninja 650R : '96 KLR 250 : '00 KLR 250 : '06 WR450f: '08 Multistrada 1100S : '14 Grom : '15 Yamaha FJ-09

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Brylo Ren View Post
    PCV is not a standalone and is a piggyback. PCV is a fuel controller.
    PCV is not only a fuel controller. It also allows for ignition adjustment, quick shift modules, a tuner, and other addons. So its a piggyback ECU, of sorts.

All this confusion everywhere makes me want to make a big thread. Maybe if I have time ill do this.. soon.
    Anyway, fuel controller is part of the ECU.
    And if you see people disputing ECU vs ECM, its most likely the same thing.
    Engine control unit, engine control module, electronic control unit, electronic control module, they all are generally the different names for the same thing.

Now, im going to get flak for saying engine control unit and electronic control unit are the same (generally), but let me explain. Call it an electronic control unit. Its just saying that the unit is electronic (as opposed to mechanical). Call it an engine control unit. Now its a control unit for the engine.
    In the end, its the computer that controls the bike.
    Old Goat Ninja likes this.

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    I'd edit my post, but IE is stupid.

I said tuner in the first sentence, I guess I meant to say auto-tuner.
    Of course, some of those other features (like quick shift) require additional hardware, but id say we are splitting hairs then. In the case of the Power Commander 3 or Power Commander USB, I believe you actually need a separate quick shift module, where for the grom, you just need the switch. I think.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I appreciate the tutoring -- I am old school as my knowledge of motorcycles. I don't have a good grasp as to what these things do. I am thinking that I might add "ignition module" to the growing list of little black boxes that somehow can influence performance. (I assume a stock Grom has an ignition module?)

As I peruse the on-line catalogs and discussions I see many of these electronic module units mentioned. I am trying to understand the various merits better.

So......"PCV" is referring to the Dyna-Jet (brand) "Power Commander V" which - if I understand correctly -- is an add-on device which is NOT required for basic Grom function, but which provides more engine tuning control and possibly more performance.....Yes?

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    yes.

a power commander can :
    control timing
    have a programmable rev limit
    control fuel and timing maps PER GEAR (which is a great underutilized feature)
    output to an afr gauge
    control fueling and cold start functions
    control launch + more

and the wb2 module will allow for auto tuning below the 80% throttle position, which is what most people bitch about.

a stoc grom ecu controls all motor functions, so there is not a separate ign and fuel module on a stock bike.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Yes power commander V can do a great deal of many extra things. Inherently it still controls fuel on top of other things.

is a-suh dude

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post
    PCV is not only a fuel controller. It also allows for ignition adjustment, quick shift modules, a tuner, and other addons. So its a piggyback ECU, of sorts.

All this confusion everywhere makes me want to make a big thread. Maybe if I have time ill do this.. soon.
    Anyway, fuel controller is part of the ECU.
    And if you see people disputing ECU vs ECM, its most likely the same thing.
    Engine control unit, engine control module, electronic control unit, electronic control module, they all are generally the different names for the same thing.

Now, im going to get flak for saying engine control unit and electronic control unit are the same (generally), but let me explain. Call it an electronic control unit. Its just saying that the unit is electronic (as opposed to mechanical). Call it an engine control unit. Now its a control unit for the engine.
    In the end, its the computer that controls the bike.
    Does the PCV not take the place of the factory ECU? I was thinking it does for some reason.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links