DCR Camshaft Swap
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

DCR Camshaft Swap

This is a discussion on DCR Camshaft Swap within the Grom How-To's and Guides forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; Just recently installed the DCR camshaft on my grom and came up with a possible timing issue. Everything on the install went smoothly and was ...

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By TheChaps15853

Thread: DCR Camshaft Swap

This user has no status.

Member #

DCR Camshaft Swap

Just recently installed the DCR camshaft on my grom and came up with a possible timing issue. Everything on the install went smoothly and was definitely a lot easier than I imagined it would be. However, when turning the engine over by hand and making sure it is all TDC, the camshaft sprocket lines up perfectly, but the T marker on the engine goes just a hair beyond the window. If you tap the ratchet the opposite way ever so slightly, the T is back in the window and the camshaft sprocket is still aligned. Would this be an issue? There is a little more pressure with the DCR cam installed right before the T appears in the window and that causes it to just go beyond it when hand cranking it. Turned the bike over two separate times and I don't hear anything out of the ordinary. I have not ridden it yet, just to be on the cautious side of things. As always, any help is greatly appreciated! Thank you!
    Show 'em your nuts!

is a-suh dude

Member #
    Likely fine. It would be WAY off if you were off by a tooth- I don't think the T would even show in the window.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I like to use breaker bar rather than a ratchet to avoid that sloppiness and hold the engine in place. Do you have the tension bolt screwed back in? There is a line the T should be lines up with, not just in the window.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Let me go back out and get some pictures of what I'm seeing for you guys. I called the dealership just for them to double check everything and wanted $145 for an hour to and hour and a half worth of work. Obviously, I told them to stick it when it takes less than 5 minutes to get to the cam sprocket and timing chain. It might be later on tonight for the pictures, as I have a couple things to do around the house, but I appreciate such quick responses. The timing chain tension bolt is screwed back in. Would it possibly have to do with any of the bolts being off spec? The only thing I have torque wrench size wise is a 1/2", I'm gonna pick up an adapter for 3/8" today and adjust everything to Honda spec.
    HifiExpat likes this.
    Show 'em your nuts!

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500km
    I think I know what you mean, and had the same issue. I rechecked mine after everything was done and then it all lined up. when I was first putting the sprocket back on it wanted to fall above or below the mark.

Sent from my EVA-L19 using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links