Honda Grom banner

My first ride.. 285 miles on the Blue Ridge Parkway..

12K views 31 replies 13 participants last post by  BlueRidge 
#1 · (Edited)
*** WARNING - ADULT LANGUAGE AND HUMOR - PARENTAL GUIDANCE IS SUGGESTED ***

I got my grom Thursday of this week but right before i got home it started rain.. I wanted to ride it on Friday but it once again was raining and i had to work late.. so i was watching the weather like a hawk.. and it said 30% chance of rain.. well I got up like 4:30 this morning and checked the weather again.. it said possible rain in the morning.. then partly cloudy.. until the afternoon there was 50% chance of thunderstorms and rain.. well.. i wanted to ride my GROM.. so i said fuck it.. got ready.. got the grom ready.. grabbed some zip lock bags just in case it did rain i could put my phone and wallet in them so they wouldnt get wet.. since there is no storage on the grom i couldnt take my frogg toggs.. this afternoon i bought a small backpack so i can always carry my frogg toggs.. i will explain why in a lil while.. so anyways.. i stopped at the local gas station and filled up and headed up to the Blue Ridge Parkway.. I stopped under the bridge at Buck Creek Gap and took a quick photo..

Motorcycle Vehicle Road Motorcycling Sky

it was foggy which has been the norm for the last 2 months with all the rain we had early in the summer..

Road Tunnel Thoroughfare Infrastructure Atmospheric phenomenon

I headed on up on the BRP into the fog.. I rode up to the first overlook which is Black Mountains Overlook.. There you can see the fog that I rode through to get to the parkway and the sun just starting to highlight the clouds along the Black Mountain Range..

Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Car Rim

Vehicle Motorcycle Sky Car Road

I then rode on through the fog until I finally got out of it near the Orchard at Altapass.. The sun was just rising above the fog so I had to stop and take a few pics/video..

Vehicle Motorcycle Car Sky Adventure game

I then rode north continuing my journey on the the Blue Ridge Parkway.. I stopped at Bear Den Overlook to look back at the fog bank I rode through.. the Orchard at Altapass is below that fog bank from this vantage point..

Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Mode of transport Sky

I kept going.. smiling the whole way.. having a blast.. back in and out of fog.. until I got to Grandfather Mountain Overlook..

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Sky

I rode past Grandfather Mountain.. across the Linn Cove Viaduct.. I wanted to record video but I was in and out of fog so no go.. I pulled off once I got out of the fog and took a few photos at this overlook..

Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Mode of transport Road

The sun kept rising and soon the fog sorta burned away.. you could now see Grandfather Mountain in the background with a low cloud around it..

Motorcycle Vehicle Road Motorcycling Road trip

I kept going.. I went through a curve and saw something in the road that looked like a license plate.. I slowed down and turned around.. went back and it was indeed a license plate from TN.. now what am I going to do with this.. I didnt have my backpack.. hmm.. i could put it under the seat strap.. no no i dont want to sit on it.. so I put it in my jacket for now.. and kept going north until I got to Price Lake..

Motorcycle Vehicle Car Supermoto Motorcycling

I thought for sure going through the campground or near the lake I would see a Park Ranger and give him the license plate i found.. but nope.. didnt see one.. so I kept going north..

*to be continued as it wont let me attach more then 10 photos lol*

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Ok so another photo at Price Lake before I move on.. there was nobody around at 8am on a Saturday which I find pretty weird considering you can fish at this lake.. anyways..

Vehicle Motorcycle Car Lake River

I kept going north passing by Blowing Rock and Boone, NC when I saw something in the road ahead.. I slowed down and found this orange puppy with hearts on it.. I picked him up and quickly move on before a car got close to me... I pulled over at this overlook to take some pics with it..

Motorcycle Vehicle Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Adventure

for the rest of my ride today.. this would be my riding companion.. lol

Orange Vehicle Motorcycle Helmet Auto part

Still going north.. I came across this overlook.. there were a few motorcyclists here.. some of the first I had seen all morning.. Have you ever heard of the song.. "hang down your head tom.. dula.." well here is a sign talking about that song..

Vehicle Grass Grassland Gun Farm

Onward I went.. having a blast.. came across this overlook which made me laugh.. The Lump Overlook.. all i could think of was Fergie with the Black Eye Peas song about her Lady Humps.. lol..

Vehicle Motorcycle Motorcycling Mode of transport Road trip

At about 100 miles in my journey I came across the Northwest Trading Post along the BRP.. I stopped and took a break.. went inside and got a grape soda and a pack of nabs.. I asked the ladies inside where the closest gas was if I kept going north.. i was told another 40 miles.. well.. i was at the last bar.. she said you could go back 5 miles and there is a gas station.. so thats what I did..

Helmet Motorcycle helmet Personal protective equipment Vehicle Headgear

Once filled up it only took .97 of a gallon.. thats pretty good.. I kept going north.. stopping at any overlook with a cool view..

Vehicle Sky Motorcycle Automotive wheel system Supermoto

At over 100 miles in.. I came to the conclusions that a few things I don't like about the Grom.. first off the seat.. that strap suxs.. in fact it actually feels like its cutting off the circulation on my leg/butt.. I am going to remove that soon.. Also the stock mirrors sux big dog dicks.. I can't see shit except my shoulders.. I tried everything but no luck.. I might try to bend them some until I can find some that I like to purchase..

Vehicle Road Wheel Asphalt

I rode another 50 miles and finally hit the Virginia/North Carolina line.. I went up and turned around and parked my grom half in NC and half in VA..

Nature reserve Natural environment Vehicle Tree State park

On the way back I actually caught up to a group of motorcycles.. I rode in the back with them for over 20 miles.. then pulled off at Doughton Park so I could take some photos of how everything is closed.. Thanks to the government budget cuts.. which to me make no sense as the Blue Ridge Parkway has the most visitors of the National Park System..

Property Vehicle House Motorcycle Roof

*to be continued*

#3 · (Edited)
Here is the Doughton Park sign.. they have everything blocked off.. the campground is closed.. it was weird because usually this is a very busy place.. its been a long time since I had been up this way..

Grass Sky Tree Road Park

I stopped at the very same gas station as I was right at 100 miles (50 miles to VA and 50 miles back).. filled up and this old guy comes over.. I saw him eyeing the Grom.. he asked me about it.. I told him it was a new Honda.. he was like.. ohhhhh.. I knew I never seen one like that before.. lol.. I kept going south back to Boone.. I could see off in the distance it was getting dark.. thunderstorms were starting to develop.. just great.. maybe I can make it back home before it rains..

Motorcycle Vehicle Car Motorcycling Adventure

I stopped at this overlook above.. and I could see it was raining off in the distance.. when all of a sudden a thunder crack BOOM!!! I was like fuck this.. put my phone and wallet in zip locks bags.. made sure all the zippers were closed on my jacket.. I rode another 5 miles and then it hit.. started raining so hard.. at first i could feel my pants/crotch getting wet.. felt like i had pissed myself.. it ran down my leg into my shoe.. in fact i looked down and my shoe was gushing water.. fuck.. maybe it will only last a few mins.. WRONG.. it lasted all the way back to Grandfather Mountain.. then it let up.. couple of curves and the pavement wasnt even wet.. good.. I started to dry off.. I got behind this SUV going 35.. I was like.. fuck.. maybe if I flash my high beams they will speed up.. so I flashed them.. all of a sudden the speed up.. so did i.. next thing I know I am going 55.. 60.... i was like.. i wonder how fast I can get behind this SUV.. it topped off at 63.. it couldnt go no more... i backed off.. they turned off onto an overlook.. I kept going.. I got near Linville Falls and it started to rain again.. FUCK.. this time a steady light rain.. then it got worse.. then it let off.. and again the pavement was dry.. I was like 'YES'.. as far as I could see it was partly cloudy.. maybe i will dry off.. I drove on south on the parkway.. Passing the Orchard at Altapass.. Passing Crabtree Meadows.. all the overlooks I stopped at this morning.. I am pushing it now.. going 45-50 when I can.. Finally.. I hit Buck Creek Gap.. I get off the BRP and drive down the mountain towards my house.. I stop at my friends restaurant to show them my Grom.. I wasnt there 5 mins when my friend said "dave you better get on home it looks like its going to rain again".. so I jumped on the Grom and booked it back home.. I got withing 5 mins from my house and all of a sudden it starts POURING rain.. fuck fuck.. i was almost dry.. now i got 5 more minutes to get home and I am soaked worse then I was before it seemed.. Got home and checked the mileage.. 285 miles.. 2 bars left on the gas gauge... phew.. let me get out of these soaked clothes.. lol.. next time.. backpack and frogg toggs..

so.. i had a blast.. found out the mirrors sux.. the seat strap suxs.. and the stock handlebars need to be changed to something that don't have as much rake.. it makes my wrist hurt after a hour or so.. other then that.. the Grom did great.. i loved it.. even in the rain I had no problem in the curves.. would i do it again?? hell yah.. (with rain gear) haha..

who wants to go with me next time???

*i have more photos just need to upload them*

#5 ·
Awesome write up! I had to of just missed you in the morning. Ended up further into VA. I'm glad someone has been able to enjoy a Grom up here. :thumbup:

#8 ·
Awesome write up! I had to of just missed you in the morning. Ended up further into VA. I'm glad someone has been able to enjoy a Grom up here. :thumbup:
Were you on the BRP? I went just far enough into VA to turn off because there was a couple cars behind me and a few of them turned when I did.. I pulled off right after a stone bridge.. waited for the traffic to die down and then head back to the border to take the pic..

Blueridge - You say "F**k" a lot. Your stories would be much more enjoyable without all the F bombs.
ahh.. just imagine it says 'Fudge'.. when I type out what I am thinking I type exactly what I would of said.. and i prob said the 'F bomb" as you put it 20x when it started to rain.. sorry if it offends you.. its just a word.. its like Duck but with a F.. i figure we are all friendly adults here.. didnt think nothing of it.. just about everyone I know from back home in the military shoot out about 100 "F Bombs" during any conversation.. sorry Captain.. if it offends you thats on you.. if its not allowed on the forum.. then a moderator can delete or edit my post.. i really dont care..

Great pics and write up!
thanks..

#11 ·
oh yah.. thats why i love it here.. if i need to goto Asheville I jump on the parkway.. if i need to goto Boone.. parkway.. walmart.. parkway.. lol

Yep. Sure was. Jumped on @ little Switzerland around 8-830 and rode up to sparta and then headed north to Marion. Stayed mostly dry except around lunch time.
I started like 7am.. when I went through Little Switzerland it was all foggy.. one guy almost pulled in front of me at that intersection.. by 8 i was up near Grandfather Mountain already..

#10 ·
Yep. Sure was. Jumped on @ little Switzerland around 8-830 and rode up to sparta and then headed north to Marion. Stayed mostly dry except around lunch time.

#16 ·
Awesome write up man. Have you tried rotating the mirror bases? I have done this and while 1/3 to 1/2 my view is my elbows, I can get a good view behind me. Also, banks stopped by the dealership today and was eyeing the mirrors on the CB500F saying he wonders how they would work on the Grom, so I took the mirror off and told him to go check it out. He said he thinks they would work a lot better, so those might be worth checking into. As for the handlebars, have you tried rotating your bars backward or forward? I rotated mine forward and that really did the trick for me.

#18 ·
On the mirrors I have the stocks adjusted a certain way. If you view them from the side of the bike, the mirror stem and the handlebars are almost parallel. Try running something like that. The mirrors are easy to adjust, I just adjust them to where 1/3 to half my mirror is my elbow. Then adjust up and down. I would try loosening the mirror bases and get that angle right first, although people are built different so what works for me may suck for you.

As for the bars, I think getting apers1 to make you some is the way to go.

#21 ·
oh yah i forgot.. one time i took a 15mins break then went back and jumped on the grom.. it wouldnt turn over.. i was like.. uh.. did i leave the key on.. turned the key on and off.. tried to start again.. nothing.. hmmm.. the cut off switch was set to "ON".. i looked down.. damn kickstand was down.. i could of sworn i had moved it up.. hehe.. so word to the wise.. make sure kickstand is up or it wont start.. which i knew this.. but didnt think about it when i was about to panic 100 miles away from home hahaha

#24 ·
Haaaaa! Man I love it!!!!! putting that grom to use! sounds like a fun journey!!! I want to ride the BRP!!!!!!

#31 ·
Great write up, thanks for the pictures also. My friends think I'm nuts for buying the GROM since I have a 99 Hayabusa, 99 ZX6R, two Harleys FATBOY/ Heritage and they say why you want a small kids motorcycle.

They don't know it but I like motorcycles of all size, makes and color. The GROM is very very good on gas mileage, small enough to take it with you on the back of your truck with camping gear and it would make a all around hooligan motorcycle. I miss my 89 YSR-50 which I bought new and have been looking for the right small, pit bike, trainer stunt bike, teaching friends/relatives how to ride bike.

Anyways thanks for the review and ride safe and much ALOHA.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.