Honda Grom banner

Blaze Yellow & Black Stunt/Race Build

31K views 42 replies 13 participants last post by  jonesn 
#1 · (Edited)
Update: 3 Grom Builds. Blaze Yellow/blk, Pink/blk, KOSO BBK

Updated 5/9/17
Alright, 3 Builds. One Thread.

My Bike - Blaze Yellow/Black Grom (Stunt)
A bike I can commute, stunt, road race, mx., little bit of everything kind of bike. (now solely a stunt bike 5/9/17) I'll be updating my input in for the majority of what I install and test so feel free to ask questions.
Current odometer (2/23/2017 - 11,600mi) error on last update
Mods-
KOSO 170cc 2v (Jones Honda) (currently back to stock piston/bore)
KOSO 34mm Throttle Body (Jones Honda)
KOSO 34-30.5mm Intake Manifold (Jones Honda)
KOSO bigger connecting tube/intake tube (Jones Honda)
KOSO Camshaft (Jones Honda)
Finbro Big valve Head with intake side port matched to koso intake manifold (finbro garage)
Finbro ECU (Perfect Stranger Designs)
PCX injector
Forza 300 fuel line
KOSO AFR Gauge (Jones Honda)
Kitaco Cover (Hard Racing)
Takegawa Super Oil Pump (Hard Racing)
Intake Mod (Jones Honda)
KOSO Hurricane Filter (Jones Honda)
Power Pures Front and Rear (120 & 130) (recently swapped to a dunlop tt93 front with vee-rubber rear for stunt riding) (Jones Honda)
Magura HC1 Handbrake (Jones Honda)
Brembo P34 caliper (Perfect Stranger Designs)
PSD Subcage (Perfect Stranger Designs)
PSD dual caliper bracket (Perfect Stranger Designs)
Exhaust - Black DG Low Mount (Have had quite a bit of experience with Yoshimura, Akrapovic, DG, FMF, and DKS) (Jones Honda)
Goodrich Stainless Front Brake lines (Jones Honda)
Goodrich Stainless Rear Brake Lines (have but not installed) (Jones Honda)
EBC HH front and rear Pads (Jones Honda)
EBC Contour Rotor (Jones Honda)
Pro taper Pillow Tops (Jones Honda)
Pro taper KX High bend fat bars (Jones Honda)
Pro taper universal risers (Jones Honda)
Slim style Left Hand Control Switch (Jones Honda)
EBC Clutch springs (Jones Honda) Need to get some that are stiffer though.
Euro Spec Headlight (Steady Garage)
LED Flasher Relay (Steady Garage)
Oil Decompression cap (Steady Garage)
Dual Catch Can, fittings, and oil hose - (harbor freight + O'reillys)
Fulmer LED light kit (Jones Honda)
Plastics and wheels dipped as well, soon to be powder coated.

2017 Honda Grom (race) 12.20hp
Emgo Drag Bars (Jones Honda)
ROX risers (Jones Honda)
Motion Pro Rev2 Throttle (Jones Honda)
Flushmount front signals (Jones Honda)
Dunlop tt93 tires (Jones Honda)
2015 wheels (weighed the front alone at 2lbs heavier, didn't get a chance to weigh the rear, I have heard it's 1lb per wheel difference?)
RK Chain (Jones Honda)
Superlite Sprocket (Jones Honda)
PSD Chain adjusters (Jones Honda)
Galfer Lightweight front and rear rotor (Jones Honda)
Galfer pads (Jones Honda)
Galfer front and rear stainless lines (Jones Honda)
Yoshimura RS2 exhaust (now FMF) (Jones Honda)
Dinger Built Intake
Evap delete, tail fender delete, signal delete
Pro Grip "soft touch superbike" grips (Jones Honda)

Pink & Black Grom (17.5hp)
-KOSO Camshaft
-DG R-Series Low Mount Exhaust
-Intake mod with lid removed
-Finbro Big Valve Head port matched to koso tb
-KOSO 170 big bore
-KOSO 34mm Throttle Body
-KOSO 34-30.5mm intake manifold
-Finbro ECU + PSD Cold Fix + PCX injector
-16t JT Front Sprocket
-Tyga Tail Kit
-Hot Bodies Front Turn Signals
-Competition werkes taillight
-Pro Taper KX high Handlebars
-Pro taper universal risers
-Pro Taper Neon Pink Grips
-Pink Vinyl Wrap
-Stainless front line
-EBC Contour rotor
-EBC HH front pads

The Shop Grom (parted out and sold) 23.5hp
- Mini 3 Handlebar bracket - 0 miles
- Mini 3 AFR Gauge - 0 miles
- Tyga X-Tail Kit - 0 miles
- DG Silver Low Mount v1 Exhaust
- KOSO Camshaft
- EBC Clutch Springs
- KOSO Camshaft
- KOSO 170cc Big Bore Kit
- KOSO 4v Head
- KOSO 34mm Throttle Body
- KOSO Intake Manifold
- KOSO Hurricane Filter
- KOSO Connecting Tube
- KOSO Rubber Intake
- PCX150 Injector
- Aracer Standalone RC1 Super
- Aracer AF1 module

Our shop grom has since been put back to stock.

Some before and after shots of mine. More updates to come

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire
Vehicle Tire Automotive tire Bicycle handlebar Wheel
Vehicle Bridge Motorcycle Transport Mode of transport
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Wheel Spoke
Tire Automotive tire Vehicle Motor vehicle Auto part
Bicycle handlebar Yellow Vehicle Motorcycle accessories Bicycle accessory
Night Vehicle Asphalt Light Sky
Land vehicle Vehicle Car Motor vehicle Black

See less See more
#4 ·
Yup, just snap a picture of what you want with shipping price to you address

#5 ·
And here's my gf's grom
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

#6 · (Edited)
Update on the pink bike. DG low mount exhaust and newly added KOSO cam. The cam wasn't a huge difference but enough so it can now be clutched up in second gear with stock gearing/stock tune. Around 6500-6700 the bike starts to pull a little harder. Mild, but noticable. Not as big of a difference as the exhaust has made. Her bike will be getting the KOSO 170cc BBK next and eventually the 4V head. Mine will be doing the entire package at once.
Update on the black bike. Flipping the DKS subcage around for a little more room. 50 stunt Axle sliders as a birthday present from the little lady.

Edit: after the bike had a few hundred miles the cam became much more noticeable on the top end.

#9 ·
nah no tune was required, I have a buddy getting one put in his next week. I've been talking with them back and forth quite a bit and seems like none of their kits require a tune. We'll definitely get my gf's tuned down the road but mine may just run a gauge setup. If it shows anything out of the norm I'll get it tuned then

#10 ·
North of jeff city

#11 ·
Bump, updated the thread as there has been a few changes. Excited to get started on our shop bike.

#12 ·
hey, i'm looking for some help and was wondering if you could assist. I've never really rode before so the bike im going to be getting is a grom since it's entry lever I guess. i'm not to concerned about changing anything right off hand when I get it but in about a month or say I may change some things. I'm not to concerned about it stock speed but I do want it to go faster eventually. but I do want to stunt as well. I know what all I should get for stunting because I've talked to a stunter who helped me there but he didn't go over everything I need for stunting. so my questions are, whats the fastest you got your grom to go and what all mods did u use for that? also, what do you use for stunting? i'm very new to this bike stuff so I know next to nothing and am looking for some help

#13 · (Edited)
long answer-
-First thing, get an RSC lever. Lifetime warranty it'll be the last lever you ever buy, I've had mine for 3-4 years now. Even if it breaks they cover it, works on almost any bike. If stunting is priority over speed, a -1 front sprocket goes a long way. Even a -1 front +3 or 4 rear is even better. I rode with a -1 front +11 rear and it taught me slow wheelies pretty quick. After that it's a lot at once but worth it. Next do the handbrake, subcage, and exhaust.
If speed is priority then how fast do you need to go? For me, I commute 10 miles to work and 10 miles home. The plan for my bike is to be able to run bone stock gearing while being able to clutch up second in a wide range of rpm with no problem yet run 70 pretty consistently. My buddy has clip-on bars, pcv (rpm raised), wb2, full system yoshi, chimera intake, kitaco cover, stock gearing and can run 76 on the limiter with full tuck in a draft. Not easy, but doable. The power is extremely noticeable over stock and all around smoother. A similar setup is what I'm going for until big bore.
-Speed after 60 really depends on aero and weight from what we have found. There's quite a few of us and we've noticed a gain getting rid of the shrouds, wearing gym shorts vs jeans, shirts vs jackets, getting rid of the mirrors and stock rear fender have also been noticeable consistent gains of 1-2mph. Weight is another huge factor. My gf has a 40lbs advantage over me and it shows a few mph consistently when we hit backroads. Exhaust wise it seems as long as you get rid of the stock headpipe with a decent company you will see consistent 2-3mph gains with more midrange and top end. My DKS low mount exhaust much worse than the full system akrapovic i was running. I feel the DKS is even with or a little worse than the stock exhaust performance wise. However, for the summer I was doing lot stunt riding and a cheap $60 exhaust was perfect. My gf hit the deck about 4 times and scraped it up so it did its job. This year I plan to do more streets and racing so I am converting over to a quality low mount to keep my subcage.

-Exhaust wise, I've tested quite a bit of the market (akrapovic, yoshi, dks, two brothers, fmf, hmf, comp werkes, DG and more)
Like I said as long as you get rid of the stock head pipe and allow a bit more flow there seems to be gains. Performance wise they are all very similar with a full system. About a 10% gain.
KOSO cam I've been pretty happy with for $100 and half hour labor. Gave it a bit more noticeable top end. Especially when shifting wheelies you feel it the most. The mid range and top end has more pull to catch the bike if it falls too low where as before you had to have the wheelie pretty high to shift.

To answer your question
-Grom speed from my experience of a few dozen different groms. Most brand new to being broken in.
-6ft 160llbs 800ft above sea level. normal light riding jacket and jeans mild to no winds-
-Broken in grom seems to run a little stronger on the top end. few mph.
-Stock grom sitting upright 55-57mph
-Stock grom full tuck 63-65mph (takes a little while but it'll creep up there)
-Stock grom full tuck drafting another bike or vehicle 68-71 is achievable quite often after awhile just takes awhile. 73 on occasion.
-Drafting can literally suck you from 62-63 mph up to 70 pretty quick even from a distance which is what makes these so fun on back roads with a bunch of them.
-Add exhaust and take every one of those numbers then add 2-3mph. Stock pipe is quite restrictive.
-PC5 lets you raise the limiter, gain performance, as well as smooth out the power delivery.
-Kitaco cover will take rotating mass off the crankshaft allowing the bike to rev much quicker.

What to get to stunt
-Stock handlebars I stunted on for a little while but now that I'm running mx bars I could never go back. One of the first mods I recommend with the RSC lever.
-Front stainless line makes long stoppies much more consistent.
-There are about 2 main routes for handbrake and subcage. Cheap and expensive. Cheap works good for getting into stunt riding but eventually you may want more feel and bite with the cheap handbrake.
-Shy away from junction valves.
-Dark knight street offers a handbrake kit for about 300 shipped to the US. Includes a handbrake, master cylinder, caliper, stainless line, and caliper mount. Everything you need. It kept me busy riding almost every day for about 4-5 months. After that I found myself needing a little more.
-Perfect stranger designs (PSD) and NDC are probably the more common ones. Add a magura or brembo master, brembo caliper, stainless line, mount and you're looking into the 600-700+ range. For me I went with DKS/Racing boy kit and plan to upgrade my master and calipers to brembos while using their mount. I've had good luck with the DKS bracket and plan to go to their three caliper setup soon.
-Axle sliders are nice. 50 per front and 50 per rear. Sometimes they have promo's going. Only get 50-stunt. Had the LOK ones and they suck.
-Rear sub-Cage price will vary but heres some companies to look into-
DKS 70-100+
Happy Tanks 150ish
Zeus 225 subcage and 160 for the 12 bar
Kevtek no idea
PSD and NDC i'm pretty sure are in the 400 range. But both have adjustable options. I've ridden both of these and love them.

Surely I'm missing some things but will add if I need to

#14 ·
Update 4/21/16
Added a PCV and Kitaco cover around Jan/Feb. Both installed easily. PCV was a minor gain as far as really making more power, it did however make the the power delivery a bit smoother across the board. With the DG exhaust I found the yoshi map worked best with it. The two brothers map gave some strange hiccups in the mid to top end rpm.

Later on added a KOSO camshaft with an 11k limiter on the PCV (originally thought I could adjust it back with the software to 10-10.5k but that's not the case so I'll have to get that dialed down after awhile). Was down in texas and hit 86mph on an extremely long/steep downhill! I've never even seen above 75-76 on that bike prior to that. Drafted my buddy half way down the hill I passed him showing 80. Had no idea just how high it was going to go so I stayed in it to the bottom. My gearing is 16/37 currently so I estimate about 82-83mph.

A week later I added a KOSO 170cc big bore to my grom. Currently only using only a PCV with plans to add an autotune down the road. It really transforms the bike into being much more streetable. Best way to describe it is like comparing a 250f and 450f (Not the power just the riding style.) The 250 likes to like to scream a bit more and hang out on the top end whereas the 450 builds the majority of its power in the bottom end and dies off on the top. I find myself short shifting around 6-7k rpm now. It has a ton of usable tq now, getting to 50-60mph is nothing. The first 50 miles there wasn't much top end, would pull strong to about 7500 and completely fade off. Used it as a daily, 8-9mi at 30-55mph and about 3 mi at 70mph to and from work. With about 150mi on it now the bike has really opened up. The top end pulls strong, has very little to no backfire on decel and no hesitations anywhere. I can clutch up second gear no problem, clutch 3rd up on the back pegs, and run 70 on the highway sitting upright. Circle wheelies are a piece of cake now with more bottom end grunt I'm finding it much harder to stall. Let me know if you have any questions!

#15 ·
Later on added a KOSO camshaft with an 11k limiter on the PCV (originally thought I could adjust it back with the software to 10-10.5k but that's not the case so I'll have to get that dialed down after awhile).
So once you increase the rev limit (after filling out the paperwork and everything), you can only do it once?

Also, i always see 'you can raise it 500 without the waiver' but... how? i didnt really look into it much, but id still like to on mine.

Also... There is the speed limiter, which you can also setup for RPM, i tried it on mine, but couldnt get it to work. Maybe look into that? Id ideally like to remove the rev limiter (to an extent) and then just use the speed limiter/rev to adjust it as i see fit. Even putting it on a switch so i can turn it off and on, only using it when i really need that extra speed.

#17 ·
Added a PCX 150 injector to the koso 170 2v and it REALLY woke the bike up. Should've done it sooner but didn't get around to it. The bike is night and day different. Before it was running out of steam around that 7k mark, now it pulls much smoother and strong all the way to redline. It needed it for sure. I can clutch up second no problem and roll 70 sitting upright with ease.
The bike I was riding with yesterday consisted of full bolt ons - chimera intake, yoshi full system, pcv+wb2, superlite sprockets, composimo race bars and a few other goodies. On the top end they really weren't super far off. My bike in the draft would pull very hard to slingshot past. Whereas his would just inch by. The big bore would barely edge it after 70 and could pull itself up to about 75 full tuck. The big difference in the 2 bikes getting to 60 was drastic. So far, really happy with how it's turned out.

Update on the KOSO 170 4v
Bike has been done for about 2 months now. Have had a tuning issue like everyone else running this kit has. Recently we aquired an LCD 200 and made some changes. Those changes helped wake the bike up quite a bit but it's still not running to its full potential. Side note I was able to get it up to about 82mph today with room to keep going. The tune just needs a few more tweaks and it should be good. I'll be posting a video up of a comparison between stock, a full bolt on + wb2 setup, koso 170 2v and the 170 4v. Hoping to have it up within a week. Just need to source some guys that are all similar weight.

#19 ·
Yeah 125 on his. I made this today to help give people an idea of the two.

#24 ·
Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Automotive tire

Little update. Dipped the plastics again along with the wheels. Back to 14/37 gearing (swap to 16t when top speeds needed) Added a handlebar cellphone mount that goes over the bar pad. Ordering a PSD Subcage today as well. Not much left!
Going to swap over to the finbro ecu, the pcv has been great but if I can get 2 of them (one for me and one for the gf) for the same price as 1 pcv I might as well sell it and get her a present. Will probably help with her exhaust and camshaft anyway.

#26 ·
I found some black gloss vinyl in the shop I tried using but it was so old it was almost brittle and didn't want to stick. Going to try and cover them up with some cut down black seal saver sleeves so we'll see how it turns out. I'll be up there hopefully in July some time so I'll be in touch, doing a KC trip as well

#29 ·
Finally got my elbow down! https://www.instagram.com/p/BKOEnWdhzXR/?taken-by=cameronjones239

Update on my grom. Finbro ECU is on, love it! Huge performance jump over the pcv. Paired with the pcx150 injector I went ahead and added a KOSO hurricane filter. Swapped to composimo bars and dunlop TT93 tires. Nice upgrade over the Michelin's as far as ripping around in the suit goes. Power pures take the cake for a good daily tire though. I took the stunt parts off as I was preparing for a race in STL I decided to take my bike out for test the track. Here's a picture from ABI-Photo. Once race season is done I'll have it back to a stunt bike.
PSD subcage came in, it's currently on the girlfriends bike as well as the DKS handbrake setup. She won't let me have it back lol I also picked up a PSD dual caliper bracket with brembo p34 and magura HC1 master. Thank you Perfect Stranger Designs! The handbrake setup sat for awhile and finally got around to installing it on the composimo bars this week for temporary. About to go back to the KX highs for daily/stunt riding.
Picked up some EBC HH front pads, HUGE difference over stock as mine we're getting pretty thin.
Here's a video I made with one of my buddies racing around a local parking lot.
Be sure to subscribe for more! :D

Land vehicle Motorcycle Vehicle Sports Racing
Stunt performer Vehicle Motorcycle Stunt Motorcycling

#30 ·
Update, end of summer picked up a DynoJet 200 in mint condition. Next spring when I pick up a 2017 I will do a lot of dyno testing. Possibly shootouts for different intakes, exhaust, tuning options, etc. I just enjoy messing with this kind of stuff. Our race series may allow us to race these and if we do I'll be looking to find that edge given the strict rules.

Here is the before and after dyno of my bolt-on setup vs my big bore. Next will be head work, either a bigger valve setup or port and polish. 91 oct, 860ft.
Text Font Document Paper

Red- Koso intake, intake mod, pcx150 injector, finbro ecu, koso camshaft, kitaco cover, high flow oil pump, dg exhaust.
Blue - All of the above + Koso 170 big bore, 10 hole injector, koso 34-30.5mm intake manifold, koso 34mm throttle body, koso connecting tubes, koso intake tube, airbox lid closed on both runs. Only did 1 run on the big bore.

More dyno's to come!

#31 ·
Ordered a Finbro big valve head today with bigger intake port to match the koso intake manifold. Wish I would have done it a long time ago.

Here's some pictures from last year.
Stunt performer Motorcycle Stunt Vehicle Motorcycling
Land vehicle Vehicle Stunt performer Stunt Wheelie
Stunt performer Stunt Vehicle Motorcycle Automotive tire
Stunt performer Wheelie Stunt Vehicle Motorcycle
Stunt Vehicle Asphalt Stunt performer Extreme sport

#33 ·
Thanks! It was plasti-dip to start. I'll be pulling those parts off this month or next to get them actually painted. That plasti dip was really hard to keep clean. Unfortunately I only had the white/blk setup for about a day so that's about the only pics I have of it like that.

UPDATE: Picked up a 2017 grom for racing! I'll be putting my OG down to solely a stunt/higher hp grom and the other one as a race/testing grom.
Current plans :
Our race series requires no fuel controller so it'll be just intake and exhaust for performance however I'll be doing a lot of testing to find the best setup.

15' wheels (lighter)
Dunlop tt93's
Currently composimo bars (not in pic)
intake and exhaust undecided
Suspension undecided
Superlite sprockets
Upgrade lines, pads, and rotors
rev2 sitting on the bench from a previous customer so I'll throw it on too
Other stuff as well I'm sure missing. I'll get an update going this weekend when I have more free time.

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Car Honda

#34 ·
Intake mod and filter lid removed, I have a pod filter with clocking plate that came in today from steady garage. May end up putting 1000 miles on it first to make sure the hp numbers level out from break-in.
Composimo bars installed
Front stainless lines
Rear fender, mirrors, and signals removed
Left switch housing removed
magnetic drain plug
oil decompression line (less crankcase pressure)
Throwing the dunlops on tonight along with some upgraded rotors and pads

Land vehicle Vehicle Motorcycle Motor vehicle Car

I think I'll be taking the headlight off this bike to put on my 2015 grom and vice versa. Should have some pictures of it like that up here pretty soon.

Little update on my 2015 grom. It's going to be solely a higher hp stunt bike now. Swap between a 14t for lot and 16t (sometimes 17t) front with 37t rear for longer street rides. The PSD adjusters make it about a 2 minute swap. Current mods: Finbro big valve head (26mm) with intake side port matched to koso intake manifold, koso camshaft, koso intake manifold and tb, koso connecting tubes, koso filter, yosh rs2 exhaust, kitaco cover and high flow oil pump, forza 300 fuel line, pcx injector, finbro ecu with psd cold start harness. High comp piston sitting on the bench. Currently sitting at 15.5hp and it SCREAMS! Still has great low and midrange power but around 8k it really opens up and pulls hard up to about 11k.

#36 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.