Build: grommyk's Grom
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

grommyk's Grom

This is a discussion on grommyk's Grom within the Grom Builds forums, part of the Honda Grom Forums category; I bought my 2015 used with only 363 miles and an LED headlight kit. I found a great deal on a used Yoshimura RS9 exhaust ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree9Likes

Thread: grommyk's Grom

is riding 125cc's of FURY!

Member #

grommyk's Grom

I bought my 2015 used with only 363 miles and an LED headlight kit.

I found a great deal on a used Yoshimura RS9 exhaust and used the forum discount to order a bunch of other parts from Drowsports.

I added:
    TST Industries Flushmount Turn Signals - Clear
    TST Honda Grom Front Turn Signal Converters 3 to 2
    TST Industries 2 Pin LED Flasher Relay
    DROWsports Carbon Fiber Intake, K&N Filter, & Fairing Rod
    Hot Bodies Honda Grom Fender Eliminator

From Partzilla:
    CB1000R Mirrors

Buttdyno says everything is faster! Hahaha.

Next weekend is an oil change and installing JT Sprockets Honda Grom Sprocket, Front 14t
    Sato Racing Honda Grom Shift Spindle Support (Gold)

Last edited by grommyk; 01-29-2017 at 01:19 AM. Reason: added links

This user has no status.

Member #
    How do you like that intake. I've been looking at getting it for a while but havent heard much about it

Member #

grommyk's Grom

Quote Originally Posted by Jboogie View Post
    How do you like that intake. I've been looking at getting it for a while but havent heard much about it
    I like the sound of it paired with the exhaust. It is loud when you're at full throttle though. It doesn't bother me. There was a thread about the sound a couple days ago that's worth checking out, if you're worried about it being too loud. Everything does feel a little faster. The one thing I have to check out this weekend is that the fork will tap the K&N filter when I turn the wheel all the way to the right. I may have to just recess the filter a bit more, so that doesn't happen. Make use of the forum discount that Drowsports gives. SPEND!!!

Edit:
    Here's that thread:

Drow Sports Carbon intake - Screaming banshee!
    Last edited by grommyk; 11-22-2016 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Link and words.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

Member #

grommyk's Grom

I got the TYGA lower cowl from @steadygarage. They gave me great customer service and a discount for being a HGN forum member. The cowl looks great on the Grom. The color was pretty close to OEM. It was easy to install, but took a bit to get into the right position. It's a tight fit and is touching the engine in a few places. The cowl was warm when I got into work, so I'm going to dremel down any of the contact points the next time I take it off.

Last edited by grommyk; 11-18-2016 at 01:00 PM. Reason: Added link

is Living the Dream

Member #
    nice looking grom, ride safe

Member #

grommyk's Grom

14t front sprocket installed and had to readjust the chain. It had so much slack after putting in the sprocket. The chain was like a limp noodle.

Did it's first Oil change, and oil spinner cleaning. Replaced the original gaskets. The original crank case gasket was stuck to it, so I had to razor blade that damned thing off.

I learned that the Yoshimura RS9 blocks access to oil drain bolt and had to undo the bottom part of the exhaust to get it to move over enough. Anyone install a fumoto oil valve on their Grom? Which one did you get, if you did? I have it on my cars and it makes oil changes clean and easy.

Lastly, I tried to install the shaft shift support from Drowsports, but I couldn't get the lever off. It would get about half way off the spline then stop. I didn't want to force it and ruin the splines. Anyone have tips on how to get it off, without removing the rearset? I plan on doing the shift linkage mod and put it on then. Hopefully the lever will come off when it's not attached to the linkage.
    Last edited by grommyk; 11-28-2016 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Links

Member #
    I did my first valve adjustment on the Grom the other day. The one thing I wish I had bought would have been the TAPPET / VALVE ADJUSTER TOOL, 3MM SQ., W/9MM SOCKET WRENCH. I did it with needle nose pliers and a 9MM socket, but the tappet would have made adjusting the valves a breeze.

Just an FYI, the Valve Clearances are:
    IN: 0.10 ± 0.02 mm (0.004 ± 0.001 in)
    EX: 0.17 ± 0.02 mm (0.007 ± 0.001 in)

I finally was able to install my Sato Racing Honda Grom Shift Spindle Support Bracket and do the Shift Linkage mod. They seem to have helped my third gear not engaging issue. It happens still, but not nearly as frequently. I think I need to shift into 3rd closer to red line. Finding neutral is easier now too.

For the linkage I bought these off Amazon:
    QSC CMR-5, 5/16 X 5/16-24 Economy Male RH Rod End
    QSC CFR-5, 5/16 X 5/16-24 Economy Female RH Rod End
    and this nut to get free shipping: QSC 5/16-24 RHJN, 5/16-24 Steel Right Hand Jam Nut, Clear Zinc Plated

I didn't use the nut. I also had to cut the Male Rod End down nearly in half to make it the proper length when mated to the Female Rod End. I put a lot of Red Loctite on the threads to keep everything in place

For the nuts and bolts to hold the linkage together, I bought these from the DIY center:
    (2) 1/4-28x1 bolts
    (2) 1/4-28 hex nuts
    (4) M6 Flat Washers

I put Red Loctite at the ends and Voilà, linkage completed and all for about $10. I added this info to the Shift Linkage thread too.

I installed POWTEC PT-GROM Adjustable short Brake and Clutch Levers. They’re a little shorter than stock and seem to be decent quality. Here’s a comparison of the brake lever:

Finally, I was able to install the black powder coated rear sets I bought from @BLKGRMRR.

I also picked up the MNNTHBX Faux Frame Cover. I love the black look on the lower half of my Grom now.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    Looks awesome with the black rear sets!
    grommyk likes this.

is This user has a status.

Member #
    I would add the nut to your shifter linkage. Loctite is good but from experience I can tell you it will start to twist and squeak badly. I knocked the lever off the shaft and moved it up a cog to compensate for the added length.

Awesome build!
    grommyk and obijuanito like this.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by lexdfox View Post
    I would add the nut to your shifter linkage. Loctite is good but from experience I can tell you it will start to twist and squeak badly. I knocked the lever off the shaft and moved it up a cog to compensate for the added length.

Awesome build!
    Thanks for the heads up. I'll keep an eye on it for now and tackle it during my next oil change.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links