Sprockets: What you need to know - Page 3
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

Sprockets: What you need to know

This is a discussion on Sprockets: What you need to know within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Originally Posted by FangShui Stock 15T front sprocket weighs 3.8 ounces as weighed on an accuracy-verified postal scale. The weights you're getting for the sprockets ...

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: Sprockets: What you need to know

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by FangShui View Post
    Stock 15T front sprocket weighs 3.8 ounces as weighed on an accuracy-verified postal scale.

The weights you're getting for the sprockets you've found may be the shipped weight.......
    Awesome! Thanks for the helpful reply!
    I checked again and it's 7.2 ounces shipped
    it's this one here:
    http://www.amazon.com/Vortex-3270-15.../dp/B000WK603Y
    Last edited by TheDubar; 03-18-2016 at 07:18 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDubar View Post
    Awesome! Thanks for the helpful reply!
    I checked again and it's 7.2 ounces shipped
    it's this one here:
    Amazon.com: Vortex 3270-15 Silver 15-Tooth 520-Pitch Front Sprocket: Automotive
    Vortex makes great sprockets. Note that for the Grom you will need a 420 Pitch sprocket.....

Currently, Vortex doesn't make a sprocket for the Grom.

PBI does: http://www.ruckhouse.com/index.php/p...-sprocket.html

https://www.steadygarage.com/store/p...et-steel-alloy

You can also save significant weight by getting a Hybrid rear sprocket. Center portion is alloy for lightness, outer toothed ring is steel, for long-wearing quality.

http://japan.webike.net/products/21832711.html
    Last edited by FangShui; 03-18-2016 at 08:24 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Vortex makes great sprockets. Note that for the Grom you will need a 420 Pitch sprocket.....

Currently, Vortex doesn't make a sprocket for the Grom.

PBI does: Custom Honda Ruckus Parts PBI Front Countershaft Sprocket for the Honda Grom

https://www.steadygarage.com/store/p...et-steel-alloy

You can also save significant weight by getting a Hybrid rear sprocket. Center portion is alloy for lightness, outer toothed ring is steel, for long-wearing quality.

MADMAX : Rear Sprocket [MM19-0341S]
    Here's Vortex's front sprocket that fits the Grom:
    Dirt Bike Vortex Front Steel Sprocket | MotoSport

Same teeth, same pitch, lighter Sprocket. Are you sure? Just because it isnt marketed for the grom doesn't mean it doesn't fit.

I dont care as much about wear. I'm happy with an all-aluminum rear sprocket, and willing to change pitches for both sprockets if it means less parasitic loss.

Do you know the weight of the sprocket you linked?
    Last edited by TheDubar; 03-19-2016 at 10:28 AM.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by TheDubar View Post
    Here's Vortex's front sprocket that fits the Grom:
    Dirt Bike Vortex Front Steel Sprocket | MotoSport

Same teeth, same pitch, lighter Sprocket. Are you sure? Just because it isnt marketed for the grom doesn't mean it doesn't fit.

I dont care as much about wear. I'm happy with an all-aluminum rear sprocket, and willing to change pitches for both sprockets if it means less parasitic loss.

Do you know the weight of the sprocket you linked?
    I stand corrected on that. The Vortex website doesn't list one for the Grom.

I couldn't find the actual weight of that sprocket linked to.

You could switch to a 520 pitch setup. You'd need both sprockets and a new chain. The 520 setup would add weight, though, and negate the savings you'd get just using lighter sprockets in the 420 pitch. The low power of the Grom engine means the 420 setup is more than adequate. If installing a BBK with considerably more power a 520 changeover might be a good option to add.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I stand corrected on that. The Vortex website doesn't list one for the Grom.

I couldn't find the actual weight of that sprocket linked to.

You could switch to a 520 pitch setup. You'd need both sprockets and a new chain. The 520 setup would add weight, though, and negate the savings you'd get just using lighter sprockets in the 420 pitch. The low power of the Grom engine means the 420 setup is more than adequate. If installing a BBK with considerably more power a 520 changeover might be a good option to add.
    Thanks, you basically confirmed what I thought. I thought maybe there could be some crazy alloy developed for racing that would require the 520 chain, and would have been willing to do so.

My concern now is that the vortex sprocket might actually be the 7.2 ounces listed on Amazon, because it has the appearance of a thicker "collar" around the hole the shaft goes in. The sprocket you linked seems to have less metal removed via holes but also no appearance of the re-inforced collar. I'll contact companies this week. I may just end up buying both and asking a machine shop what they say. After all, it's not a 1000cc roadmissile

is hating my 30T rear

Member #
    so i recently went with a 30T in the rear and i can't pull 4th gear to save my life. I'm looking for more top speed over anything and like the max speeds i can hit in the lower gears but in 4th I'm no where near the top speed i was looking for as the RPMs never get high enough, would you guys recommend like a 32T in the rear or keep the 30 and add a tooth up front? thanks

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by limoant603 View Post
    so i recently went with a 30T in the rear and i can't pull 4th gear to save my life. I'm looking for more top speed over anything and like the max speeds i can hit in the lower gears but in 4th I'm no where near the top speed i was looking for as the RPMs never get high enough, would you guys recommend like a 32T in the rear or keep the 30 and add a tooth up front? thanks
    Adding 2 on the back or dropping 1 up front will net you about the same. You need more powaaa to help you pull through 4th gear.
    limoant603 likes this.

is hating my 30T rear

Member #
    BBK time i guess lol

is 143!!

Member #
    Odometer
    I'm running the 15t / 36t and really like the way it accelerates. 1st gear is shorter but that launch is FUN! I occasionally have people in full size pickups trying to race me. Before, 4th gear was useless unless I was going downhill or had the wind at my back. Now, 3rd gear is fantastic and 4th can really get after it. It can be a little slow to accelerate when riding into the wind, but nothing a little tuck or draft won't fix. I should probably get a speedometer healer soon since my mileage is racking up 5.12% faster.
    ~$LBKewee$~

2012 Harley Fat Bob
    2015 Honda Grom*Stolen*
    2014 Honda Grom Takegawa 143 & cams, Chimera, Yoshi RS9 Carbon

This user has no status.

Member #
    HardRacing sells a 'plug-n-play' unit that is a breeze to setup. They even have a video about it if you'd like a virtual 'try before buy'.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links