aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Has anyone actually gotten valve float after installing an aftermarket cam with the stock valve springs? After searching all I am seeing is a lot ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs

This user has no status.

Member #

Has anyone actually gotten valve float after installing an aftermarket cam with the stock valve springs? After searching all I am seeing is a lot of what ifs and could happens, the only incident I've come across is suposedly dcr got some coil bind from their cam then came out with their own set of valve springs.

is Living the Dream

Member #
    If you are reving at a constant 7-9K rpm maybe it would be a good idea to get the DCR duel valve spring a great $79 investment
    http://danielcrowerracing.com/i-1756...t-2014-17.html

This user has no status.

Member #
    Im running it near or at red line 80% of the time the bike is running, it lives at the kart track and I have had no float issues yet.

But bigger cam going in and the finbro ecm allows for that 12.5k rev limit, I'm sure I'm pushing it especially with that 12.5k limiter, just wanting to see if anyone has hit that ceilin ceiling yet

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj510 View Post
    Im running it near or at red line 80% of the time the bike is running, it lives at the kart track and I have had no float issues yet.

But bigger cam going in and the finbro ecm allows for that 12.5k rev limit, I'm sure I'm pushing it especially with that 12.5k limiter, just wanting to see if anyone has hit that ceilin ceiling yet
    What cam are you running now, what are you changing to and why? Are you currently using the finbro ecm
    TMGP Sprint #78
    Endurance Team "I Just Wanna Ride" #104

http://texasminigp.com/index.html
    Half the Size Twice the Fun

This user has no status.

Member #
    I ran stock valve springs with a kitaco type 1 cam for awhile with the finbro ecu..... it saw 12.5k redline a few times. Im sure there was some float with the stock springs but never enough to touch piston.

Just do what i did. when you have your head off next spend the 10 bucks, yes all of 10 bucks, for some finbro heavy duty valve springs and never worry about it again.

is A Meat Popsicle

Member #
    Odometer
    Finbro ecm allows for 12.5k rpms...but your never gonna get to 12.5k rpms. Your gonna get to like 10,10.5,11 maybe maybe that's it. That's straight from finbro I asked them about this question...they said stock springs are fine they informed me that their test bike wasnt getting that high revs...so im thinking it's fine

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronbang View Post
    Finbro ecm allows for 12.5k rpms...but your never gonna get to 12.5k rpms. Your gonna get to like 10,10.5,11 maybe maybe that's it. That's straight from finbro I asked them about this question...they said stock springs are fine they informed me that their test bike wasnt getting that high revs...so im thinking it's fine
    That's only true in 4th. Any other gear can get to 12.5 no problem.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

This user has no status.

Member #
    At the grom cup, we run stock springs and rev it to 10-11k and never had a issue with valves floating

Enviat des del meu LG-V500 usant Tapatalk

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by obijuanito View Post
    At the grom cup, we run stock springs and rev it to 10-11k and never had a issue with valves floating

Enviat des del meu LG-V500 usant Tapatalk
    That's good to hear.

Motor is completely stock but between this week and next I'll be putting in the finbro ecm, pcx150 injector, finbro 125cc cam and finbro flat top 125cc piston.

Between the ecm and cam is what I was worried about, I'm running -1/+2 sprockets so it will rev out pretty far

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj510 View Post
    That's good to hear.

Motor is completely stock but between this week and next I'll be putting in the finbro ecm, pcx150 injector, finbro 125cc cam and finbro flat top 125cc piston.

Between the ecm and cam is what I was worried about, I'm running -1/+2 sprockets so it will rev out pretty far

if you are going that far, do yourself a favor, buy the 125cc super head from finbro. Everything that i have done to my bike, the stock head with stock sized valves is 100% the bottle neck. Even on stock bore. And im fairly certain that the superhead comes with stiffer valve springs already installed. so win win.

If you are going to do it... do it right the first time. I really wish i had done a bigger valved head with my 164cc bbk.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links