aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs

This is a discussion on aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Originally Posted by Mike884 I didn't take my grom much past maybe 10.5 and there was definitely some float with the DCR cam and the ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: aftermarket cams and valve float with stock springs

is Living the Dream

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike884 View Post
    I didn't take my grom much past maybe 10.5 and there was definitely some float with the DCR cam and the intake valve actually Made slight contact with the stock piston. Not hard enough to cause a huge issue but it's indented.Attachment 55833

after seeing the piston I installed the finbro springs. Hopefully that solves the issue
    I had the HD Finbro valve springs on my 183 finbro head and I replaced it with the DCR duel springs and I haven't any problems at all.

is is adventuring one bike at a
    time.

Member #
    Like a few others replied above, I have the DCR cam with stock springs and my bike is either ridden on the local kart tracks or in the dirt. The only float the motor has to deal with is braking harder into the corners, floating the rear wheel prior to the apex, and over tabletop jumps. With the stock compression you have more any adequate clearance between valve face and piston top for 99.9% of all riding situations. Induce less worry about the springs and create more fun through the copious application of throttle and lean angles.
    2002 TTR-125 (Wife's)
    2006 KTM 625 SMC (Evil Mistress)
    2010 CRF-70 clone (Daughter's)
    2015 Grom x 2 (Hers and His)
    2016 BMW R1200GS (Daddy Bike)

"Six bikes are our limit." -Unicorn Wife

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike884 View Post
    I didn't take my grom much past maybe 10.5 and there was definitely some float with the DCR cam and the intake valve actually Made slight contact with the stock piston. Not hard enough to cause a huge issue but it's indented.Attachment 55833

after seeing the piston I installed the finbro springs. Hopefully that solves the issue
    Thanks, but from my understanding the springs Are not going to stop your piston contacting the valve. At high rpms and bigger lift ratios some springs have a hard time keeping up with the revolutions of the cam and not allowing the valve to open and close completely causing a "floating" valve. Odds are you are still seeing contact with your piston.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is bTuUsNaAnSuUtB

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Aj510 View Post
    Thanks, but from my understanding the springs Are not going to stop your piston contacting the valve. At high rpms and bigger lift ratios some springs have a hard time keeping up with the revolutions of the cam and not allowing the valve to open and close completely causing a "floating" valve. Odds are you are still seeing contact with your piston.
    Stiffer springs are going to raise the operating rpm at which they can successfully close the valve and not float. Stiffer the spring, the more resistance being transferred to the cam lobe insuring it follows shape and doesn't get left behind when after peak lift

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    thats the whole point of stiffer springs is to avoid that contact of valve to piston. whether its from an aggressive camshaft or adding boost, or both.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sponsored Links