Honda Grom banner

Realistic Mod Expectations

11K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  Squidbilly 
#1 ·
I've done some research but I really just wanted to ask for peoples straight up opinions, maybe from those who have these mods. I've got a 2017 Grom that has lots of esthetic mods and only a few performance mods. Those being: MNNTHBX exhaust, 14t front sprocket and a Chimera intake with K&N Filter. I can hit 60 mph for a split second but thats about it, I pretty much max out at a top speed of 59 mph. Im 5'9 180 lbs btw. Anyway, I'd really really like to be able to hit 70 mph. I am pretty new to all of this. My next mods are a fuel controller/power commander and a DCR Cam. In your opinions, what type of performance gains should I expect out of those two? Is it possible I could get up closer to 70 mph? Thank you in advance.

#2 ·
Do you have a speedometer correction device? If not, you're actually going closer to 63/64 already. The DCR cam is all about getting you those sweet, sweet RPMs so I'd think you'd be able to get a few more mph out of her.

#7 ·
Do you have a speedometer correction device? If not, you're actually going closer to 63/64 alread.
Isn't it the other way? Going down 1 in the front makes the speedometer read faster than you're really going? If I'm wrong on this, then my Grom is hauling ass now with a 14t lol.

#3 ·
You will get significant gains from pcv/wb2 and a cam, but you won't see 70mph on the flat from just that.

yes it's a lot of money for not a massive increase but you will gain more acceleration and a bit more top speed.
The biggest thing is once you have proper fueling drop a 164/181 bore in and you'll be much happier. But cruising up hills at 70? Still no.

#10 ·
agreed. doing a downhill, and i mean a big one in the nc mts a few yrs ago when mine was relatively stock, gps verified mine was bouncing off the revlimiter at 72-73, pulled clutch in and it accelerated due to gravity over 76. was literally faster coasting with stock gearing/ecu. which is kinda funny.

#14 ·
70 MPH is achievable but i've learned that a top speed goal isn't a good measurement. It is very conditional and if you're running these BPU's you need perfect conditions.

What is important is the time it takes to achieve 60-65mph, because that is what you will need to rely on if riding on the freeway. When going up even the slightest incline or traffic slow downs, you need to keep up.

Now if you don't want to ride on the freeway, then 70 MPH top speed is also not really important, because you won't be going that fast in the street. You can just gear your bike differently to have better acceleration.

#19 ·
Chimera intake, brocks alien head 2 exhaust, kitaco clutch cover, lightweight flywheel, aracer fuel management (with af1/dg1) and 15/36 gearing(kitaco speedo corrector). I weigh 185lbs soaking wet with gear and live/ride at 5100'. Grom will usually hit 65mph for me with a full tuck. I can get mid 40s to low 50s up hill. On good days or at lower elevation(trailering back from Texas as I type) it'll bang the limiter all day at 74mph(limiter raised to a hair under 10k) on flat ground.

Currently have the finbro super stock set up(dome piston, new super head, new cam, and bored throttle body package) on order. I've heard claims of 80+ mph out of similar set ups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.