How are transmission ratios calculated... - Page 2
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

How are transmission ratios calculated...

This is a discussion on How are transmission ratios calculated... within the Grom Performance forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Thank you Juls! Im happy with the stock 0.923 gearing it can get me decent speed on a flat road i just hate the pull ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: How are transmission ratios calculated...

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    50km
    Thank you Juls! Im happy with the stock 0.923 gearing it can get me decent speed on a flat road i just hate the pull in stock gearing 1 through to 3. The temperature info is great! Riding with 14t front sprocket im only at 50% throttle to get decent acceleration even up hills so temp info makes sense.
    Last edited by Waz-r; 01-09-2017 at 10:25 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    50km
    has anyone used the takegawa 5 speed with a stock engine ? is the tall 1st really hard to get the bike moving? especially on hill starts?
    I love my grom

This user has no status.

Member #
    It doesn't make much difference, 2.5:1 or 2.33:1 makes little difference. That bigger jump up top is huge, but down low it doesn't make a big difference.

there is plenty of room in the casings for the 5 gears in terms of width, all the takegawa cogs are the same width or wider than stock so as strong or stronger than stock. The stock gearbox is a bunch of crappy casts that waste heaps of space.

The issue is the space between the two racks of gears can't be changed so your limited what you can do in terms of ratios, hence takegawa loses some down low to keep the stock final and kitaco loses some final to gain a bit down low.

The reason your limited in gear size (outside diameter) is the stock gearbox has its dogs hanging out the side of each gear, to squeeze a 5 speed in some of the dogs need to be inside gears, so your limited as to how small a gear you can use as you need to have an engagement dog inside the gear as well. Hence the limitations in ratio in the 5 speed boxes.

If you look at the kitaco gearbox you see what looks like weight saving holes in the gears, well actually they are for the dog drive to engage in. Takegawa only machines out the holes as far as necessary to help keep strength.

which box is better? No idea. Takegawa works for me, kitaco was $150 more on webike the day I bought mine.
    Last edited by Juls; 01-11-2017 at 02:59 AM.
    Old Goat Ninja likes this.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    50km
    Quote Originally Posted by Juls View Post
    It doesn't make much difference, 2.5:1 or 2.33:1 makes little difference. That bigger jump up top is huge, but down low it doesn't make a big difference.

there is plenty of room in the casings for the 5 gears in terms of width, all the takegawa cogs are the same width or wider than stock so as strong or stronger than stock. The stock gearbox is a bunch of crappy casts that waste heaps of space.

The issue is the space between the two racks of gears can't be changed so your limited what you can do in terms of ratios, hence takegawa loses some down low to keep the stock final and kitaco loses some final to gain a bit down low.

The reason your limited in gear size (outside diameter) is the stock gearbox has its dogs hanging out the side of each gear, to squeeze a 5 speed in some of the dogs need to be inside gears, so your limited as to how small a gear you can use as you need to have an engagement dog inside the gear as well. Hence the limitations in ratio in the 5 speed boxes.

If you look at the kitaco gearbox you see what looks like weight saving holes in the gears, well actually they are for the dog drive to engage in. Takegawa only machines out the holes as far as necessary to help keep strength.

which box is better? No idea. Takegawa works for me, kitaco was $150 more on webike the day I bought mine.
    Wealth of information.. i see the kitaco has the same 1st final drive as the standard trans . i was wondering about the diameters and even thinking about getting 2 custom made cogs to get 1st gear to 2.67 fd which would basicallly make it like having the same drive as a 14t sprocket on the standard box but having the final drive of the standard box 0.923 with a 15t sprocket... i guess this is never going to work because of diameters ... so do you have the Takegawa on a 125 motor or a bbk?
    I love my grom

This user has no status.

Member #
    Light bore 164, no head or throttle body mods yet.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    custom gears being made are extremely expensive to be done right. I really wouldn't worry much about 1st gear being a problem. its 3rd-4th (or 5th) that really matters especially the spread between them, unless you are on the drag strip looking for a good launch
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    ONLY way id ever be OK with a first gear that is taller than stock is if 5th was taller as well... that away one could reduce the final drive gearing and get back to a stock first gear ratio. IMO stock the grom has way too tall of a first gear... but thats me and my weird pseudo dual sport nature of my grom.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by nd4spdbh View Post
    ONLY way id ever be OK with a first gear that is taller than stock is if 5th was taller as well... that away one could reduce the final drive gearing and get back to a stock first gear ratio. IMO stock the grom has way too tall of a first gear... but thats me and my weird pseudo dual sport nature of my grom.
    100% agree, first is too tall stock. Even with a 14t it's a bit taller than I'd like for the kind of riding I do.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    really? with a 16/36 mine pulls like a freight train in 1st now and lifts under power . I can actually start in 2nd if need be. and I weigh about 195-200 lbs.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by m in sc View Post
    really? with a 16/36 mine pulls like a freight train in 1st now and lifts under power . I can actually start in 2nd if need be. and I weigh about 195-200 lbs.

well yeah you are running a BBK no?

I have since switched back to almost stock gearing with my 164cc for around town. But sometimes i still feel its too tall, too much clutch slipping needs to take place. I cant just let the clutch out slowly and idle in gear if its much more than flat.

But thats asking alot of a lil 164cc motor. haha

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links