Anyone have the DC rectifier from SteadyGarage?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Anyone have the DC rectifier from SteadyGarage? within the Grom Gear and Accessories forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; Just got mine and installed it. Is it supposed to eliminate the rear tag light? Meaning my tag light doesn't work anymore. The tag light ...

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By turpinator
  • 1 Post By NJ_BenzTech

Thread: Anyone have the DC rectifier from SteadyGarage?

is ordering more parts

Member #

Just got mine and installed it. Is it supposed to eliminate the rear tag light? Meaning my tag light doesn't work anymore. The tag light I'm running is LED, I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Let me know if any of you guys have come across this issue.

is ordering more parts

Member #

Nobody's got nuttin? I suppose I could re-wire the tag light but just need to know if this thing is faulty or not.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I'm not sure if this is related, but when I got my LED tag light, I needed to tap the wire from my new tail light wire as the stock tag light wires didn't work. I wonder if it's related somehow.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is ordering more parts

Member #

Yea I understand the tag light is run on AC from the stock rectifier. The LED tag light worked before (on AC voltage), but now no worky. I didn't check yet but if the new rectifier produced DC voltage at the tag light I'm thinking it would still work? Seems weird that the Gojin rectifier would eliminate the tag circuit (if in fact it does).

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    You have the old rectifier, right? Isnt it a pretty quick swap?
    I recall someone saying that the new one eliminates the need to convert the headlight voltage to DC if running LEDs or HID or something, right? (i dont know much about hid/actual automobile lights and stuff)
    If so, this voltage is the same that should be at the tag light (at the headlight i mean).

Id maybe guess, it puts out DC on that wire now, and the LED in the back no longer works because of its polarity. It worked fine on the AC, with current coming from both directions.

Time to get the meter out.
    NJ_BenzTech likes this.

is ordering more parts

Member #

Good point. I will check the polarity of the tag circuit now. I'll flip the connections and see what happens. That makes total sense, I'll mess with it later and follow up this post.
    Last edited by NJ_BenzTech; 06-10-2016 at 12:33 PM.
    TheMajekalBum likes this.

is ordering more parts

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by turpinator View Post
    You have the old rectifier, right? Isnt it a pretty quick swap?
    I recall someone saying that the new one eliminates the need to convert the headlight voltage to DC if running LEDs or HID or something, right? (i dont know much about hid/actual automobile lights and stuff)
    If so, this voltage is the same that should be at the tag light (at the headlight i mean).

Id maybe guess, it puts out DC on that wire now, and the LED in the back no longer works because of its polarity. It worked fine on the AC, with current coming from both directions.

Time to get the meter out.
    Flipped the tag wires, now it works. So this thing converts the headlight and tag light to DC. Thanks turpinator!

This user has no status.

Member #
    That's a tag light mystery.
    I have the Yoshimura LED tag light. Instructions said to connect red to green and black to yellow from stock tag light wires.
    Thats opposite of normal DC polarity where red and yellow are positive, and green and black are negative.

I guess the Yoshimura LED tag light has some kind of built in rectifier if it's supposed to work off AC?
    And the Gojin recitifer/regulator makes AC become DC, and then your LED tag light works when your wires are flipped?

Tag light only comes on when engine is running. So why bother with polarity in the installation instructions if it's AC ?
    Stock tag light is a plain 5W bulb.
    Last edited by teerex; 11-17-2016 at 01:01 AM.

is breaking shit and taking names

Member #
    im assuming this regulator just uses the 3 wires IN (ac) .

I have a 6pin generic voltage regulator that takes the sale plug., im wondering if i use this if it will do the same thin if I install it.
    Too many toys? nah. 09 Ducati sport classic, 74 rd350 LC hybrid, 73 RD350, 73 Kawasaki S2a, 67 Kawasaki C2TR 120 Roadrunner, 71 Kawasaki G3SS powered by a CR85 liquid cooled lump, 74 Moto-Morini 3 1/2 strada, 84 Yamaha RZ350, 1962 Ford falcon, 76 Ford maverick, very early 1970 non-us Spec Yamaha R5, 89 Yamaha DT50 bought NEW in 2015, 2015 KTM 390 Duke, 72 yamaha CS5.. . oh.. and 2014 Honda Grom with lots of mods.. (some useful, most not)

This user has no status.

Member #
    Odometer
    1500km
    Quote Originally Posted by NJ_BenzTech View Post
    Flipped the tag wires, now it works. So this thing converts the headlight and tag light to DC. Thanks turpinator!
    When I hooked up my OTB Halo front LEDs I had to run my unused tag light to give the HALOs 12v for the running light....so I figured the tag light was DC. I tapped into the rear harness with an extra connector since I don't run a plate or tag light. I have a THAI MSX125 that did not come with 3 wires at front blinkers, or an IAS.

I've been running this way for months....

Right now I'd like to remove my Cyclops LED and go with a different HID....just have to figure how this will affect my setup. Back to the top of this post again

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

Sponsored Links