Does this hitch carrier seem legit or TGTBT?
Close
Login to Your Account
Honda Grom Forum

This is a discussion on Does this hitch carrier seem legit or TGTBT? within the Grom Gear and Accessories forums, part of the Honda Grom Garage category; It seems like a really good deal. I've been shopping on CL for a hitch carrier since I'll be moving this summer. Stumbled across this ...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Does this hitch carrier seem legit or TGTBT?

is waiting for parts to get here.

Member #
    Odometer

Question Does this hitch carrier seem legit or TGTBT?

It seems like a really good deal. I've been shopping on CL for a hitch carrier since I'll be moving this summer. Stumbled across this deal and it seems tgtbt but I don't know...

KT Motorsports 1-877-913-7742 - Motorcycle Carriers & Ramps
    If you wait till the last minute, it only takes a minute.

My Little Pony

is gearing up for winter

Member #
    Prob not. you can find cheap ones that are similar for the same price.
    The only thing that confuses/worries me...
    It is made out of 100% heavy duty for added strength and durability.
    Idk what material 100% heavy duty is.

Heres a similar one. http://www.discountramps.com/motorcy...ier/p/AMC-400/

SAC
    is Hi-Viz with Hello Kitty

Member #
    It might be hard to use if the spacing between those pegs is too large for the Grom wheels, otherwise it seems normal price. The discountramps ones are questionable build quality too, I have one of their expensive tilting ones and they welded some of the parts in the wrong direction so I had to do some work to get it working right. Harbor freight has a $200ish folding trailer that I've seen a lot of guys use and most of them are happy with it. If I had to do it over I might go with that and a wheel chock.

4. Remove Advertisements
    HondaGrom.net
    Advertisements

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SAC View Post
    It might be hard to use if the spacing between those pegs is too large for the Grom wheels, otherwise it seems normal price. The discountramps ones are questionable build quality too, I have one of their expensive tilting ones and they welded some of the parts in the wrong direction so I had to do some work to get it working right. Harbor freight has a $200ish folding trailer that I've seen a lot of guys use and most of them are happy with it. If I had to do it over I might go with that and a wheel chock.
    I have a Harbor Freight trailer and that thing has worked great for a couple years now, and I've taken some long trips with it. I don't have the folding one though, I have the smaller one, but with the 12" wheels option, and then bought a motorcycle rail, bolted it down, and it's been flawless ever since. I replaced 6 of their bolts with eye bolts for tie down points. It weighs less than 200 lbs so I don't even feel it behind my little Ford Focus haha.

EDIT: then I went back to Harbor Freight and bought a $100 electric hoist so I can hang it from the ceiling in my garage when not in use and it doesn't take up floor space. It's so light I don't think I have to worry about it falling. I think I paid $150 for trailer from Amazon and $85 from motorcycle rail. Best cheap ass trailer ever haha.
    Last edited by Old Goat Ninja; 05-21-2016 at 07:08 PM.
    8701michael likes this.
    2015 Grom - Black and White Sissy Lala Fart Around Bike
    2014 Honda CB1000R - Black and Gold Beastly Demon
    Instagram: Old_Goat_Ninja

This user has no status.

Member #
    I have both a Harbor Freight trailer with their wheel chock, as well as their $90 hitch carrier.

One thing I like about the hitch carrier is that parking is not an issue. You also eliminate all of the potential hassles with tires and wheels (flats/bearing failures). Carrying the bike does reduce the mileage about 5 mpg.

The hitch carrier is aluminum, with a steel mounting plate and is not nearly as heavy as all steel racks. I adapted it to a 1-1/4 inch receiver and removed about 6 inches of the offset from the bumper. It works fine on my 2016 Prius, although it's close to the bumper (but the Grom is small). It's a bit wider than the car, so I plan to trim the ends to fit the Grom. Also, the front wheel is held in place by a clamp, which has marked the rims in a couple of places. I might put a wheel chock on it.

I did add lights and a license plate bracket as well to keep the Po Po happy.
    Old Goat Ninja likes this.

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #

Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGromAddict View Post
    I have both a Harbor Freight trailer with their wheel chock, as well as their $90 hitch carrier.

One thing I like about the hitch carrier is that parking is not an issue. You also eliminate all of the potential hassles with tires and wheels (flats/bearing failures). Carrying the bike does reduce the mileage about 5 mpg.

The hitch carrier is aluminum, with a steel mounting plate and is not nearly as heavy as all steel racks. I adapted it to a 1-1/4 inch receiver and removed about 6 inches of the offset from the bumper. It works fine on my 2016 Prius, although it's close to the bumper (but the Grom is small). It's a bit wider than the car, so I plan to trim the ends to fit the Grom. Also, the front wheel is held in place by a clamp, which has marked the rims in a couple of places. I might put a wheel chock on it.

How did you modify the hitch carrier for 1 1/4"? I was going to do it the other way, modify my hitch to a 2", but if it's easier to modify the carrier, I'll do that haha. You have any pictures of how you modified it?

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by Old Goat Ninja View Post
    I have a Harbor Freight trailer and that thing has worked great for a couple years now, and I've taken some long trips with it. I don't have the folding one though, I have the smaller one, but with the 12" wheels option, and then bought a motorcycle rail, bolted it down, and it's been flawless ever since. I replaced 6 of their bolts with eye bolts for tie down points. It weighs less than 200 lbs so I don't even feel it behind my little Ford Focus haha.

EDIT: then I went back to Harbor Freight and bought a $100 electric hoist so I can hang it from the ceiling in my garage when not in use and it doesn't take up floor space. It's so light I don't think I have to worry about it falling. I think I paid $150 for trailer from Amazon and $85 from motorcycle rail. Best cheap ass trailer ever haha.
    you have a link to that trailer?
    TMGP Sprint #78
    Endurance Team "I Just Wanna Ride" #104

http://texasminigp.com/index.html
    Half the Size Twice the Fun

is enjoying Grom Life.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by rob78 View Post
    you have a link to that trailer?
    They go on sale all the time, so I'd wait for a sell. They have a cheaper one exactly like it with 8" tires, but if you decide to upgrade the tires later, they're $50 each.

1090 lb. Capacity 40-1/2 in x 48 in Utility Trailer
    rob78 likes this.

This user has no status.

Member #
    Quote Originally Posted by SoCalGromAddict View Post
    this is a good tip. i did the same not only for safety, but mainly to avoid the hassle. per code, your plate ad lights are not to be obstructed.

Does this hitch carrier seem legit or TGTBT?-carrier.jpg

reflective tape as well and a dog for security...haha
    Does this hitch carrier seem legit or TGTBT?-carrier2.jpg

to the op, consider used carriers as well. i got mine for $100 which has a solid aluminum deck and steel support. in my opinion, a solid deck is much easier to load. just make sure you inspect for any damage.
    Last edited by pwr2wh8; 01-18-2017 at 12:12 PM.

This user has no status.

Member #
    I bought the receiver adapter for $10 on sale, at Harbor Freight (Hitch Adapter - 2" Adapter for 1-1/4" Hitches).

A picture really wouldn't help much. The adapter adds about 7 inches to the length of the receiver. I just cut that much off the "stinger" that fits into the receiver and drilled a new hole. Later, I chopped off another 4 inches to get the bike closer to the car, trimmed off the ends so the rack was the same width as the car, and then removed the front tire clamp and added a front tire chock (Economy Motorcycle Wheel Chock) to make it easy to load the bike in one motion.

On my car, the motorcycle's extended rear fender hides one of the rear light fixtures. I could modify the bike by eliminating the fender, but I don't want to paint my back with dirt when I am riding. So I put a full light kit on the rack's ramp, with a system to quickly remove it for loading/unloading the bike. The ramp fits on the back of the rack, and is a great mini "cargo rack" for carrying my EZ-Up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links