Honda Grom banner

Ride to SS in LA from Santa Cruz

24K views 139 replies 24 participants last post by  Ven0m0uS 
#1 · (Edited)
---EDIT---
RIDE STATS ON POST#131

Hello all,

As some of you might know, I frequently take my Grom on long rides. The last long ride was with the guys from Totalruckus. Rode from my house in Freedom (just south of Santa Cruz) up to San Jose to meet them. Then over to Santa Cruz, then back home. It was a 138 mile ride on that Sunday. Other one-day rides I do run about 150 to 300 miles.

Well now I'm planning on riding the Grom down to LA from my house to make it to this year's So-Cal Super Sunday on April 27th. On my chosen route, it will be a 407 mile one-way, one-day journey. Planning on leaving early Saturday the 26th before the event and returning on Monday the 28th. It will be around 1000 miles ridden in 3 days. I'm going on this trip solo, unless anyone else is interested in joining me. Riding long distances is a whole different thing. Being conscious of comfort is a big deal. This isn't the only motorcycle I have ridden long distances in. But the Grom is more of a slap in the face to anyone that says it can't be done. This is why I have been going on long rides on the Grom, to practice for the REALLY long ones. I don't consider going to LA a REALLY big ride. It is merely practice and research for the future.

If anyone wants in I will tell you this:

-It isn't a race
-I'm in no rush to get there
-I'm not riding WOT all the way
-Extra fuel containers are a must
-Dress in layers and carry extra clothes along with snacks in a pack
-Map shows an accident and a road closure, I know. Couldn't figure out how to do it another way with less than a minute of trying so I gave up.

I know a few of you taking yours down to SS for the ride, I'll be riding mine down. See you there.

-Johnny

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
good luck and ride safe... it would be awesome if you can post updates during your fuel and rest stops.... how long do you figure the ride down would take given that you have to take all backroads? I'd be more than happy to meet up with you when you get to maybe Gorman or so... Let us know here and I will organize a ride to meet up and then ride with you on the way down....

#11 ·
I will be updating you guys on the entire trip. The riding part on my route should be about 9 hours plus my stops. I plan on making 3 stops. I will be fueling up on each stop. I'll have breakfast before leaving. Then a snack along with a short rest on the first and third stops. I'll have a lunch on the second stop. I'll be posting specific stops and a detailed route soon. Gorman is about where 5 is. I'll be just west of there on the 33. Meeting somewhere would be awesome. I'll be staying in a hotel somewhere near the meeting spot in Rancho Cucamonga.

#9 · (Edited)
I rode the 1 from Monterey to Santa Cruz. I was just able to stay with traffic WOT and a light tuck the entire way. Drafting large vehicles I could keep up with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

I think going up a tooth on the front sprocket would increase your cruising speed greatly on the flats and give you more momentum up hills. Not to mention lowering your rpms as the power just falls off up top.

I was beat by the time I got back. If I was going that far I would rent a uhaul for half the distance.

Edit: do you have any intake or exhaust mods? This would make a huge improvement in cruise speed.

Sent from my XT1080 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

#10 ·
I rode the 1 from Monterey to Santa Cruz. I was just able to stay with traffic WOT and a light tuck the entire way. Drafting large vehicles I could keep up with 1/2 to 3/4 throttle.

I think going up a tooth on the front sprocket would increase your cruising speed greatly on the flats and give you more momentum up hills. Not to mention lowering your rpms as the power just falls off up top.

I was beat by the time I got back. If I was going that far I would rent a uhaul for half the distance.

Sent from my XT1080 using HondaGrom.net mobile app
I have done many rides around here already. I don't ride the freeway section of the 1. It's very sketchy. People don't drive 55mph on the 55mph sections. Freeway is 65mph minimum, at least for most drivers. I have done the 1 from Monterey all the way down to Kirk Creek Campground. It's mostly tourists driving slow. I took back roads to get to Monterey. I have also done it to San Francisco. BUT never on freeways. It's illegal on the Grom. But more than that it's a hazard. The Grom is fine as it is for the roads I take. Like I said, I'm in no hurry to get to wherever it is that I'm going.

#20 ·
FIRST LEG: Freedom, CA to Coalinga, CA - 123 miles

This is my planned first leg of the ride. Leaving my house at 7:30am. The actual riding time will vary on this and the other ETAs. I estimate that I'll take 20-25% longer time for the given distances. This is the approximation that I always give myself on rides. I'm very familiar with the 25 as I have gone to King City via this route. This stop will be a fuel stop along with a restroom and snack break. I'm timing myself to take no more than 15 minutes.

Attachments

#21 ·
SECOND LEG: Coalinga, CA to Lebec, CA -148 miles

The end of this leg is my Lunch break. Pretty long stretch, I hope to make it without stopping in between. I'm hoping to arrive here from 2:00 - 2:30pm. I'm giving myself 30-45 minutes for fuel, lunch and restroom break.

Attachments

#22 ·
THIRD LEG: Lebec, CA to Rancho Cucamonga - 127 - 136 miles

I'm not completely sure on this final leg. I have 2 routes to choose from. I guess it depends if I meet people on the way or not. This will be my fuel up and rest point for the night. I have not decided where I'm staying the night but I want to stay somewhere close to the meeting spot for the next day.

Attachments

#23 ·
I'll be updating you guys frequently. I'll be writing up a preparedness checklist soon. Any ideas or suggestions on the routes would be appreciated. I'll put any rude or "it isn't possible" suggestions in the same place where I put my excrement in the morning. Thank you.

#24 ·
This week to-do list:

-Buy 2 30oz MSR bottles
These will give me about a 50 mile reserve while riding at 100mpg. 100mpg is easy and I would feel better carrying them, just in case.

-Pick up a factory under-the-seat tool kit
Another thing that I'll feel better riding with.

-Get a smart phone
I know, I know I should have had one a long time ago. I'll be using it to report my trip here as well as posting photos.

-Checkout hotels within the meeting area
I'll be staying in Rancho Cucamonga for 2 nights. I'll most likely stay in the same place so I can leave some stuff in the room while I'm on the big ride. Hoping for a floor-level room so that I can park the Grom inside.

#25 ·
OEM tool kit, CHECK. Thanks to CiscoSanJose. I will also be buying a GoPro. 400 mile time lapse from my house to LA would be cool to check out. Along with video of the big ride and a return trip time lapse.

Also ordered a smart phone, should be arriving this week.

#28 ·
Not sure what you are asking. If you are asking about my trip, I'm going to this year's SoCal Super Sunday. Biggest Ruckus (and other scooters and now Grom) group gathering and ride on earth!

#32 ·
Just got my first smart phone in. One step closer to the big ride. Now I just need to design a holder for it and mount it to the handle bars or mirror. My friend has a 3d printer I can use to print the mount.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using HondaGrom.net mobile app

#34 ·
I didn't like any of the ones that I have seen so far. And designing one let's me make it exactly how I want. I'll keep looking...

#35 ·
2 weeks left for the day of my ride. I've taken care of just about everything for the trip. Only thing left to get is a gopro.

#37 ·
THIRD LEG UPDATE:

Just want to let you guys know that the third leg of the trip will definitely be going through the Lancaster route.

And to make it clear, the 400+ mile ride down and back home will be each be completed in one day. Any suggestions on places to stay will be much appreciated. Been looking at hotels but haven't made my decision yet.

#40 ·
I was in LA this past weekend the lane splitters on the major highways was something to see... One oh I dropped my cell phone and a LITTLE tug to the right and its man down..

Sent from my iPad using HondaGrom.net

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.